Suggestions?

bohome1959

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Raz lays next to on the couch. He has several others places like cat tree, cubby, etc. He insists on the dining table. I've spread my Bibles and notebooks on it but he just lays on them. Help!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aww. He is interested in what you are interested in.

It will be very hard to get him not to do this. Is he allowed on furniture and other tables? Is he hurting the books? Does he have other places that are more appealing, if you are a cat, to be?

You may have to just restrict access to the room with the books on the table

One thing to keep in mind is that yelling at him or chasing him off the table will not prevent him from goi g up there when you aren’t there.

They do make a device called “Scat Cat” or something like that. It is a canister of compressed air that is motion activated, so when the cat jumps on the table and triggers it, the air comes out with a hissing noise. But, I can see him being frightened and damaging your books with his reaction.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many methods, but to me the best is to just pick up the cat and put him down a couple hundred times, and see if that works. Might, might not. If it doesn't work . . . try and get over it. I mean, as long as he isn't actually putting a nose or paw into your food, its not such a terrible thing. If he is touching your food, I'd whack the table with the palm of my hand or clap; whichever one you uses needs to be loud enough to startle a bit. A startling noise is also a perfectly fine main training method, but I tend to save it for more problematic stuff.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to find him a place where he'd like to lay, better.

Our youngest cat, Elliot, liked to jump up on my computer desk while I'm typing. It's annoying to have a cat on your desk while you're trying to look at the screen and work!

The solution: Let him lay on my lap, instead. He gets petting and kitty loving. Sometimes, he plays with the computer mouse or paws at the keyboard while I type. (moving fingers) Generally, he stays quiet and out of my way. I'm glad to have Elliot on my lap if he behaves.

Elliot will come into the room and murr at me. I'll say, "Okay," and pat my lap with my hand. He jumps up and settles in.
I'll do my thing at the computer. He'll lay there and snuggle on my lap. I'll pet him every so often. When he's done, he just stands up and jumps down. If I have to get up or if I want the cat to get down, I'll just give him a gentle pat on the bum and say, "Get up!" Down he jumps.

All that Elliot really wants is some attention. He's the true definition of "Velcro Cat." He just needs to know that his humans are there for him. He can be very insecure! I just looked at the situation, figured out what Elliot wanted and gave him something better.

Maybe you could pull up a chair, next to your reading table and put a pillow or a folded up blanket on the seat. Encourage your cat to make himself comfortable and give him some occasional loving.

Once he gets the idea that he likes it better, he'll start doing it all the time. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Caspers Human Caspers Human 's strategy at my computer desk. I have a scratching post with a cup top right near my chair in petting range, and if I dont want the big one on my lap, I tap that, and he knows that is where I'd like him to go and sometimes obliges.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This is what I’ve been trying with my cats who like to hang out with me in the kitchen. I put these little cat beds under a counter in the kitchen. When one of them gets up on a counter, I spray a bit of catnip spray on the cat bed and put the offending cat on the bed. Yesterday they both stayed on the beds while I was cooking. :yess:

It’s a new strategy, hopefully it will continue to work.
IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A "yes" space works wonders. We bought a waist-high cat tree and I keep it next to my desk. It keeps them off my desk while I work, but they are still next to me. We have a similar system in the kitchen.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when we first got graycie she decided being on my shoulders during my meals was the place to be. took a bit or her to learn the best spot at the table to get head scratches while i am eating. best thing is she has no interest in eating human food aside from a sniff

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is a computer programmer. He spends his working hours at his desk, using a computer...and...he has three cats. They all want to spend time with their human while he works. He also uses the "Yes Space" strategy. In fact, that's where I learned it from.

One cat likes to lay on the window sill, near the computer, where he can see the goings-on. The second likes to lay on the laser printer, nearby and the third likes to lay on a chair, right next to the desk. All three of them will lay in their yes-spots and just hang out while my friend works. They are all within arms' reach so they all get some petting and some kitty loving, every once in a while.

The cats will hang out in their spots for hours, occasionally coming and going. At any time, there could be as many as three cats hanging out by the desk while their human works at the computer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bohome1959

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww. He is interested in what you are interested in.

It will be very hard to get him not to do this. Is he allowed on furniture and other tables? Is he hurting the books? Does he have other places that are more appealing, if you are a cat, to be?

You may have to just restrict access to the room with the books on the table

One thing to keep in mind is that yelling at him or chasing him off the table will not prevent him from goi g up there when you aren’t there.

They do make a device called “Scat Cat” or something like that. It is a canister of compressed air that is motion activated, so when the cat jumps on the table and triggers it, the air comes out with a hissing noise. But, I can see him being frightened and damaging your books with his reaction.
Thanks for your help. I know better than to raise my voice or spray water, etc. that just instills fear. I gently shoo him from the table. I live in a one bedroom so the dining table and living room are open. I've left a small area on the table for him so I'm going to see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bohome1959

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Our youngest cat, Elliot, liked to jump up on my computer desk while I'm typing. It's annoying to have a cat on your desk while you're trying to look at the screen and work!

The solution: Let him lay on my lap, instead. He gets petting and kitty loving. Sometimes, he plays with the computer mouse or paws at the keyboard while I type. (moving fingers) Generally, he stays quiet and out of my way. I'm glad to have Elliot on my lap if he behaves.

Elliot will come into the room and murr at me. I'll say, "Okay," and pat my lap with my hand. He jumps up and settles in.
I'll do my thing at the computer. He'll lay there and snuggle on my lap. I'll pet him every so often. When he's done, he just stands up and jumps down. If I have to get up or if I want the cat to get down, I'll just give him a gentle pat on the bum and say, "Get up!" Down he jumps.

All that Elliot really wants is some attention. He's the true definition of "Velcro Cat." He just needs to know that his humans are there for him. He can be very insecure! I just looked at the situation, figured out what Elliot wanted and gave him something better.

Maybe you could pull up a chair, next to your reading table and put a pillow or a folded up blanket on the seat. Encourage your cat to make himself comfortable and give him some occasional loving.

Once he gets the idea that he likes it better, he'll start doing it all the time. :)
That sounds like a good idea. The tablecloth hangs long so he likes to sleep in the chairs where it's private. Our morning routine is he and his sister are fed while I brew my tea. Then we all sit on the couch and they get their brush and cuddle time. I usually have an hour for Raz to lay next to me. Chloe is more independent