Suddenly Scared Cat :(

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
My bigger cat(1,5 years old) got scared of the knife sharpening noice. My fiance was doing it manualy with a round sharpening steel in the kitchen(during this time no doors were closed in the house, so he couldnt feel trapped). We seen they are bit annoyed so he went to the living room to not bother the kitties. I needed a few seconds to realize that one of them is so scared he started to shiver every time he made the noice. I stopped him doing it immediately.

Since than, Maui(my cat) is so scared in the living room, he doesnt want to come in there. Nor from the stairs nor from outside :(.
And if we put him down in there he moves step by step with a litle shake and smelling everything as a pontential harm. And of course he was slepping with us upstairs in the bed, what he never did before, and needed much more cuddles than usual.
I have faliway plugged in the living room now. But Im not sure what else to do. Shall I play with him in there or feed him?
Thank you for your help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Maui - he really got upset :cold: Do you have any idea as to why that noise scared him? Perhaps the sound of metal on metal caused physical pain to his ears. You are already doing some great things to help him.
To give him extra reassurance, I would give him grooming with a cheap plastic comb, especially around the ears, face and scruff of his neck. The scruff of the neck is a good spot to start ( Ohio State vet school has an article that explains why this makes sense: "Clipnosis" technique can calm cats in vet's office and at home | College of Veterinary Medicine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor Maui - he really got upset :cold: Do you have any idea as to why that noise scared him? Perhaps the sound of metal on metal caused physical pain to his ears. You are already doing some great things to help him.
To give him extra reassurance, I would give him grooming with a cheap plastic comb, especially around the ears, face and scruff of his neck. The scruff of the neck is a good spot to start ( Ohio State vet school has an article that explains why this makes sense: "Clipnosis" technique can calm cats in vet's office and at home | College of Veterinary Medicine).
Thank you for your reply, to be honest it didnt even crossed my mind, he could have feel pain :(. I will try to groom him around his ears, and I hope he will forget it in time.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Maui enjoys cat treats, you can instill confidence by teaching him tricks in the livingroom. I use a footstool for "performances" (like you see with the lions and tigers in the old-time movies) - I got the idea by watching the Friskies Cat Team in 2001 at the San Diego Cat Fanciers' Show. I start with jumping onto the stool on the command "up" then I advance to "circles", "tailwhips" or "give me 5/your paw". Most cats want the attention rather than treats - they love the idea of the game. Although cats don't have hierarchies, they do recognize that you are big enough to protect them and can trust that you will; just like in the case of a burning building, they find the most breathable air & survivable temperature so you would crouch down and follow them.