Suddenly Became Severly Allergic To My Cat :'(

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, after an illness, i suddenly developed severe allergies to dust and my fabulous, wonderful cat. The insides of my nose swell up, making it impossible to breathe. We've tried HEPA filters, keeping my cat out of my room... I'm living with my family and in order to keep him, I'm going to have to move out (the dander will stay around for months even if we don't keep him). My cat is a senior cat (10 years old) with CKD and no one wants him. We can't abandon him! The problem is that I'm going to have trouble paying the rent, and I won't even know if the previous tenant had cats there...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's amazing that we can suddenly develop these allergies! But it does happen. I developed a sudden allergy to Banshee, my :redheartpump: kitty. We had six cats, but she was my baby girl and the two of us were always together. It was in my nose, too, only in my case, the inner lining of my nose started to actually shed terribly.

My doctor told me to try Claritin D and it did seem to help my nose. I took it faithfully and it took a couple weeks for me to feel any difference. But it did eventually start to work and the shedding did stop.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found out this year that I'm allergic to just about everything outdoors and, our cats.
There was no way the cats were going anywhere, they are family so I have found ways to adjust and minimize symptoms.

First, obviously I went to an allergist to find out exactly what I was allergic to. She suggested allergy shots but I don't have the time to make that commitment. She put me on a new daily medications which by coincidence is now available over the counter - Zyxel. I had been taking Zyrtec before that, but after many years seemed to have lost its effectiveness. For itchy/watery eyes she wrote me a prescription for eye drops to take as needed. I also was given a new inhaler called Breo to try and that was a lifesaver for me.

We purchased two air purifiers, the best rated although pricey; RabbitAir brand. I know many can't afford this brand, so if not there are others which may be more affordable. One in the bedroom was a must since you spend so many hours in the bed which tends to hold onto dust and dander. The air purifier worked from the first night we plugged it in. I wound up buying one for our living room since our TV is there and it's the 2nd most used room in the house. Between both of them I'm breathing SO much better at home. It's amazing how much dust and dander it will catch. Do not get an "ionizer", they produce ozone which is not healthy for us and pets.

Washing linens regularly will help also, as will vacuuming and keeping surfaces dust free. HEPA filters on the vacuum, and in your heating/cooling system should be a help. Wash your hands after handling your cat. Keep up with brushing them also. The less that reaches home surfaces the better.

There are several articles on this site to assist you too. I'm just too lazy right now to pick up links to them but they are easy enough to find if you click on the "Articles" tab at the top of the page.

PS - our older cat has CKD so I understand :alright:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are several articles on this site to assist you too. I'm just too lazy right now to pick up links to them but they are easy enough to find if you click on the "Articles" tab at the top of the page.
I'm on it! :lol:

I'm also allergic to my cat. Very allergic.

This article may help a bit -

Living With Cat Allergy

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to my persian but not my Balinese, who was my first cat so I had no idea I'd be sensitive to my persian lol. Started Chloratabs once a day paired with Claritin D. The tabs help immediately while the Claritin has to build up in your system before you see results, after about two weeks you can completely stop using the tabs.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The air purifiers help immensely!! I got a Whirlpool Whispurer is pricey around $300 but I have had it for 4 years-I vacuum out both filters-only bought a pack of replacement for the clothe filter=I vacuum it out every month-it catches TONS of JUNK!!! I have it near my couch where I spend 80% of my time. Honeybee has asthma and she also breathes better around it. I need one for the bedroom. I definitely noticed a difference in the winter with the hot air furnace and dust!