Sudden Sibling Fighting

catpuccinokate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Puck (F) and Shadow (M) were found together and rescued together and adopted by my husband and I after we fostered them for three weeks. They are approximately 9 months old and I’ve had them from the start. These cats don’t have a mean bone in their little cat bodies.
About an hour ago, I heard crashing followed by loud hissing and angry meows. I jumped out of bed and ran to where my cats were fighting. I grabbed Puck and my husband grabbed Shadow.
I quickly realized that Puck was covered in cat poop. There was also cat poop on my kitchen floor.
My husband put Shadow in the bathroom, we cleaned Puck and calmed her down, and then I opened the bathroom door to see if things would be okay between them.
Puck arched her back, puffed her tail, and started kissing at shadow, who’s ears went flat and tail puffed up, but didn’t hiss or growl.
Right now, I have Puck in my room with myself and my husband. She’s jumpy and keeps staring at the door.
These cats have never done this before. They are fixed and have been for a while. She didn’t growl at me or my husband when being aggressive toward Shadow, not even when I picked her up.
I’m freaking out. What on earth could be going on?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It's impossible, of course, to know what happened since you were asleep, but I suspect the noise you heard scared one of the cats, and now they are blaming the other for scaring them.

Here's an article with more information: Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Hopefully things with get back to normal quickly. Love the picture of them with identical poses, in your profile pic. :catlove: