Sudden Hind Leg Weakness After Spay!

Lypstyck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a stray cat we were feeding when she was pregnant. She gave birth to 3 healthy kittens we have been caring for now for 8 weeks. The kittens were on solid food and occasionally nursing when I took the Queen to be spayed at SNAP. The first few days she seemed fine except she hated the cone! On the 4th day she was very lethargic. She seemed miserable and I noticed her nipples looked engorged so I let her nurse her kittens. The next day she seemed better but I noticed her hind legs seemed weak. I thought perhaps from all the laying around she was doing. She had a healthy appetite and was using the litter box but just having a hard time getting around. The next day she was lethargic again and mammaries on one side were pink and misshapen. I took her back to SNAP for a free exam where they basically just told me I need to take her to full service vet and reassured me it was nothing caused by spaying! My regular vet couldn't say for sure what was wrong. He thought the mammaries were a result of a false pregnancy as opposdled to mastitis. As far as the legs, he didn't think it was blood clot because her legs were warm and though not strong, he could feel a pulse in her legs. Now on day 3 of antibiotics, her mammaries have cleared up and look normal but she is still having trouble walking, crouching down and standing up. She mostly lays under the bed and I am just heart broken that I broke a seemingly perfectly healthy cat by doing what I thought was the responsible thing. If anyone has any insight to offer, I'd love to hear it. Im not well versed in cats having grown up around dogs. Also, any personal experiences with SNAP? I thought they were just wonderful (not to mention affordable) but am really diaappointed they weren't more helpful when I took her back.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer any help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Will she let you massage her back, her tail and her legs?
Like physical therapy for a person (except a lot more gently :) ), will she let you move her legs gently back and forth, up and down, towards her body and away?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Furballsmom suggestion. And don't put yourself on a guilt trip. You have done a good deed by taking in mom cat and taking care of her kittens.

Keep us informed as to how things progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lypstyck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she will lel me pet her and touch and move her legs. I''m not her favorite person right now and she cowers when I reach for her waiting to see if I'll put a cone on her or force her to take more medicine, but after that initial response when she sees I have no ill intent, she relaxes and let's me love on her. I will try to do a little more physical therapy with her legs. I appreciate your response!

Lypstyck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

Lypstyck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just remembered my cat also had a rabies shot! I've stumbled across others reporting the same symptoms with a certain rabies vaccine. I will be reading up on everything I can to see if there is any hope. In the meantime I'm letting her rest a lot and trying different tactics to motivate her.