Sudden formula change and stomach upset

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've fed Kabuto the urinary so veterinary food for over 5 years and have only recently found out that they changed the formula. I thought they just changed the packaging from green to brown but turns out the food in the can has been changed and now my cat has a upset stomach.

He has been throwing up undigested food since Saturday and his apatite is off (I don't think he likes the new canned formula). I am unable to get the old green cans and bags anymore. He eats both canned and dry because it is more affordable that way.

He throws up but then acts starving immediately after.

How long does it take cats to adjust to a sudden formula change like this? He is 11 if that matters. He acts fine otherwise.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI!
Talk with your vet, but I'd try something that some vets suggest to re-set an upset stomach which is some unseasoned boiled chicken, and a little white rice, for a couple of meals.

He throws up but then acts starving immediately after.
Depending on what your vet suggests, maybe just try a completely different brand of food if you can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like Kabuto might be the same as Royal Canin (SO) - as they just changed their formula and the cans/bags colors went from green to brown. Compare the ingredients and see what changes were made. It may be a case that your cat cannot handle the changed ingredients. For example, with RC SO canned and dry, they removed corn flour and replaced it with wheat gluten and wheat flour. If these foods are in fact one in the same, could it be that your cat is allergic to wheat products? It is also possible that the changes made to the food just make it taste different and he doesn't like the taste.

I did see on Amazon.com where they still appeared to have in stock the RC SO in green cans/bags.

And, here is the new one with formula change:
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food, 5.8-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like Kabuto might be the same as Royal Canin (SO) - as they just changed their formula and the cans/bags colors went from green to brown. Compare the ingredients and see what changes were made. It may be a case that your cat cannot handle the changed ingredients. For example, with RC SO canned and dry, they removed corn flour and replaced it with wheat gluten and wheat flour. If these foods are in fact one in the same, could it be that your cat is allergic to wheat products? It is also possible that the changes made to the food just make it taste different and he doesn't like the taste.

I did see on Amazon.com where they still appeared to have in stock the RC SO in green cans/bags.

And, here is the new one with formula change:
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO in Gel Canned Cat Food, 5.8-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com
That is exactly what he is eating. Kabuto is actually my cats name (Japanese for helmet)

20170430_161008_001.jpg

Last night I fed him as usual and he ate everything. He didn't throw up.
His appetite has very gradually been getting better.