Sudden Constant Meowing (kitten)

catusso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Couple of days ago my 10.5 month old female started to meow constantly. Although I plan to get her checked out it doesn't look like a medical issue so I wanted to ask here first.

There are three conditions for her to start meowing:
-specific 6 hour period of the day
-no visitors (she usually sleeps then)
-me sitting behind the computer

When those 3 conditions are met she will, almost without exception, go to one of the two empty rooms and meow constantly. This can sometimes be interrupted by calling out for her, but mostly I have to come get her myself, at which point she will either run to my room with a playful growl or follow me back. This doesn't last though, unless I'm paying attention she will go back almost immediately. When I block the access to those rooms she desperately tries to open the doors by scratching and jumping on the handle (even succeeding to open them once), so it doesn't help.

The only thing I can do to keep her quiet under those conditions now is by playing with her. She will not consider leaving the room as long as there's a "feathers on a stick" waving around and will play with it vigorously, in fact even if she is in the other room meowing, one small swoosh of the stick will have her running back at full speed. Just holding the stick in my hand and moving it once in a while will be enough to have her glued to her current observation spot.

I've read through a lot of articles about sudden constant meowing and none of them are obvious so at this point I'm actually hoping it's a mild and easily curable illness, although she appears completely healthy.

Has anyone had experience with behavior like this or have any advice what I can do about it?
Thanks in advance.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catusso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is spayed, sorry for not writing so but I hoped it would be obvious at this point.
Thank you for your answer though, really appreciate it.

catusso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize, I've written my post too poorly. I should have mentioned I know a lot about cats and have owned them most of my life, but I hoped the line about researching this behavior would reveal that.

She will exhibit the same behavior even after I spent 2 hours+ playing with her, and I always play with her anyway, so I'm sure it's not that.

I've narrowed it down to stress (can't find a reason), mental disorder, something unknown or an illness, so at this point I hope it's "just" the latter.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty Trina who is 2-3 years old, started crying like this when she was around 6 months old. This occurs mostly at night.

We discovered that she was carrying a toy with her, and she was calling as if she was calling kittens to learn to hunt. There are a few toys that are her favorites. One solution was to put away those specific toys at night.

I can call her to me even when she's crying this way, by name or "psst" and that will distract her from crying and her toy for awhile. We have a LOT of different toys, and only 2 or 3 of these "inspire" the calling behavior.

catusso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply foxden. Me and kitty live in an apartment so she is under supervision almost all the time. I never leave her alone when she meows so I know it's not about a toy, in fact her favorite toys are the only thing that can keep her quiet right now :)

I did however remember it was time for her deworming pills and gave her one yesterday. She slept all day and didn't meow once, but that's probably only due to side effects of the pill, it should take 2 days to see if that was the reason according to the vet, is that correct?

She still meows today but has actually played by herself for the first time in a while (like she usually does), but again this could be just because she has a brand new toy. She would be crying right now if I didn't have it in my hand though, but since there's a rubber cord between the feather and the stick it requires much less effort ;)

I'll have her examined by the vet on Saturday if things don't improve tomorrow, but since she's so playful it shouldn't be something big (if there is), right? :/