Sudden breathing issue!!

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just so nobody worries, I've already contacted the vet and I'm just here for additional help.

Prince is a 2 year old cat that was meant to visit the doctor this morning as he ass eating significantly less over the course of around 24-36 hours. However, the night before I noticed I could hear him breathing when I was close to him. Upon further inspection, his breaths sort of expand his chest (but not to the point where it's obviously alarming), but you can tell it's deeper breathing than usually. On a couple of occasions, he's slightly had his mouth open and I panicked. He did it once fully when he got up from his bed and he inhaled with his mouth mostly open.

I contacted my vets as well as 2 emergency clinics for support and they've said unless he's gasping/unable to breathe then just to bring him in the morning (btw, my vet clinic had no vets/vet techs on shift until the morning). The thing is, he acts completely fine other than this problem. He had difficulty falling asleep (his brothers were playing for hours too), but was grooming himself, walks around with his tail up and allows to be stroked. He even has a huge appetite as he screams when dinner is ready or any meals come his way, but cannot eat a lot - literally nibbles.

I've been keeping him hydrated every way i can. I've stayed up the entire night to make sure he's okay as I'm completely beside myself with worry. It was mentioned he could have an upper respiratory infection, but obviously its a speculation. Anyone have an idea what this could be? It's completely blindsided me. Thank you and sorry for the length of the post.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any respiratory infection that my cats have had did affect them in a similar manner. Part of it for them was a stuffed up nose. If that is part of his problem you can try putting him in a steamy bathroom when he wants to eat or seems to be having trouble. It might help ease him a bit. My vet had me use a vaporizer too. If his passages are opened up with a vaporizer it will be easier for him to sleep and eat. I’m so sorry he is feeling bad but the vet check should pinpoint the problem. Respiratory infections are not at all uncommon in kitties. Would he be okay resting in a room without the other kitties? That might be a good idea for the time being. Please do write back if needed and please do keep us updated. :alright: Feel better kitty!:redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any respiratory infection that my cats have had did affect them in a similar manner. Part of it for them was a stuffed up nose. If that is part of his problem you can try putting him in a steamy bathroom when he wants to eat or seems to be having trouble. It might help ease him a bit. My vet had me use a vaporizer too. If his passages are opened up with a vaporizer it will be easier for him to sleep and eat. I’m so sorry he is feeling bad but the vet check should pinpoint the problem. Respiratory infections are not at all uncommon in kitties. Would he be okay resting in a room without the other kitties? That might be a good idea for the time being. Please do write back if needed and please do keep us updated. :alright: Feel better kitty!:redheartpump:
Im hoping it's that and his nose it just blocked up! I'm going out of my mind as this is a serious symptom, but keeping fingers crossed. He's currently napping as he wasn't able to get to sleep, but I couldn't even isolate him (his brothers were screaming at the door). He is going to the vets ASAP, I'm just waiting for them to open finally!! I've had cats for years and never experienced anything like this - it's frightening ☹. Thanks so much for the reply!! I'll keep updated ❤💕

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im hoping it's that and his nose it just blocked up! I'm going out of my mind as this is a serious symptom, but keeping fingers crossed. He's currently napping as he wasn't able to get to sleep, but I couldn't even isolate him (his brothers were screaming at the door). He is going to the vets ASAP, I'm just waiting for them to open finally!! I've had cats for years and never experienced anything like this - it's frightening ☹. Thanks so much for the reply!! I'll keep updated ❤💕
Hi, hope you are all well. I wanted to ask what was the problem of your cat because we are experiencing the same with my cat and i am super concerned :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, hope you are all well. I wanted to ask what was the problem of your cat because we are experiencing the same with my cat and i am super concerned :(
Oh im sorry! Unfortunately, Prince was severely sick and misdiagnosed with a respiratory infection which was actually a serious and rare issue (I cannot remember the name). We had to put him to sleep as I didnt want to make him suffer. He basically had mucus between his heart and chest wall which caused his breathing issues. PLEASE don't think this is what is wrong with your cat!! What happened to Prince was very rare coming from my vet. There are tons of reasons why cats can have breathing issues. May I ask what the symptoms are and how his breathing is/what is wrong? Even though it may be nothing, it doesn't hurt to go to the vets to have a check up. Better safe that way 🌤

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh im sorry! Unfortunately, Prince was severely sick and misdiagnosed with a respiratory infection which was actually a serious and rare issue (I cannot remember the name). We had to put him to sleep as I didnt want to make him suffer. He basically had mucus between his heart and chest wall which caused his breathing issues. PLEASE don't think this is what is wrong with your cat!! What happened to Prince was very rare coming from my vet. There are tons of reasons why cats can have breathing issues. May I ask what the symptoms are and how his breathing is/what is wrong? Even though it may be nothing, it doesn't hurt to go to the vets to have a check up. Better safe that way 🌤
Oh I feel deeply sorry for Prince and very sorry to bringing this up to you i never wanted to remind and upset you😔 he is an angel now…

Our problem is a bit complicated, my girl Luna was a sick cat (corona infection) when i adopted her and as a kitten she had a very weak immune system. However after several weeks of treatment she became a very healthy cat and we didn’t experienced any major health issues until a month ago.

When summer arrived i decided to take Luna to our summer house which is 6 hours away by car which i say the biggest mistake i made because she almost had a panick attack in thr cat because of the ride and heat and i thought she was gonna die. When we arrive to the house she couldnt adapt and keep panting 1-2 times a day. I took her to vet and vet said its URI but i didnt get it because panting started only after the ride which i thought all those are caused by stress. Later When i saw she is struggling to adapt to the house i decided to come back our original house but that created another stress. We arrived our home and she is sneezing, acting like her nose is blocked (noisy breathing, sighs, panting). No problem with her appetite or toilet habbits btw. So lastly i took her to vet they took xray and her lungs and heart were ok, she just had excessive gas. But her breathing difficultirs persist. So i started to think all these are because she is traumatized because of the travel :( but at the same time i don’t think blocked nose and noisy breathing are something she can do voluntarily. also she is an almost flat faced scottish fold and its her first summer maybe thats all because of hot weather…

Sorry for the huge post, just wanted to share :)

Attachments