Sudden bald spot behind the ear

Dreyz64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I noticed today that my cat has a bald spot behind his ear.
i have not noticed him scratching it. The other ear is fine. He is an indoor cat that goes a couple of hours a day on our terrace (we are in the 3rd floor but we have a balcony and flowers on the roof).
he is not in contact with other cats either.

should i be worried?

thank you all in advance!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It looks like a raw spot, so something is irritating him and he is scratching when you don't see him, or he has gotten a bit of an injury from something he has rubbed against.

You can try chamomile tea - buy any of the grocery store varieties, which are nearly always German (you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings), brew a tea bag in water, cool to room temp, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea is both healing and soothing, and has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is also safe should he ingest any of it.

Keep an eye out for it spreading to other locations. And, if the tea doesn't seem to help it heal, it's time for a vet visit. You might try hunting around for something - balcony or otherwise in your home - that he could have hurt it on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dreyz64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response! I was scared it was ringworm or something.
so you think he has scratched himself raw? I work remotely so I am always around and I see him scratch but not 24/7 and nothing that felt excessive.
i will try camomile and hope that it is not a food allergy. Poor little guy just recovered from a urinary blocage 2 weeks ago :(

Hi. It looks like a raw spot, so something is irritating him and he is scratching when you don't see him, or he has gotten a bit of an injury from something he has rubbed against.

You can try chamomile tea - buy any of the grocery store varieties, which are nearly always German (you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings), brew a tea bag in water, cool to room temp, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea is both healing and soothing, and has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is also safe should he ingest any of it.

Keep an eye out for it spreading to other locations. And, if the tea doesn't seem to help it heal, it's time for a vet visit. You might try hunting around for something - balcony or otherwise in your home - that he could have hurt it on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was scared it was ringworm or something.
That was why I said to keep an eye on it to see if it spreads. I can't rule out ringworm, but if it is, it is going to show up elsewhere. At least the chamomile tea does have anti-fungal properties, but it won't be enough to stop it if it is ringworm. Food allergies will likely spread too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dreyz64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was why I said to keep an eye on it to see if it spreads. I can't rule out ringworm, but if it is, it is going to show up elsewhere. At least the chamomile tea does have anti-fungal properties, but it won't be enough to stop it if it is ringworm. Food allergies will likely spread too.
Yeah I hope he just had a small irritation but in any case I will monitor this closely :)

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get it checked at the vets as if it is ringworm it can spread pretty quickly to other body parts and will make it harder to treat.