Sub-Q Fluid users - question about the drip tube

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dunno, but we did - actually Dean said he just ran it under the tap to bring up the temp a little bit. You're not actually heating it, just getting the temp up a little more.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used a heating pad on the low setting for Max’s fluids. I put a towel between the fluids and the pad. When it seemed slightly warm, I’d squish the water around in the bag to distribute the warmth.

Max got his fluids on the kitchen counter. I made a hook from a wire coat hanger and put the hook over the top of one of the kitchen cabinet doors. It worked perfectly to get a good flow. I positioned a Sterilite box below it and popped Max into it for his session. My husband gave him head rubs while I did the evil deed. Max was elderly at that point so he didn’t have the strength to fight very hard. And he got used to it, just like he got used to his insulin shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I will try warming up the bag a bit. I doubt, but hope the fluids being a bit warmer will make Feeby more comfortable. Feeby gets her fluids on the bed with a coat hanger holding the bag and placed over the top of a nearby curtain rod. My husband holds her in place with one hand and give her scritches with the other once I have inserted the needle and then I monitor the flow and amount. Given Feeby has not been resisting much before, yesterday surprised us both.

I am still going to try to find other loose skin areas a little lower than the shoulder blades to try to expand the field of 'sticks'.

I did find out that if the drip chamber is too full, you can merely turn the bag upside down to reduce the amount. Duh.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am still going to try to find other loose skin areas a little lower than the shoulder blades to try to expand the field of 'sticks'.
Sorry, got sidetracked with the other thing, but yes, Dean did work pretty hard to try to avoid Poppy getting sore by utilizing different stick locations. It was almost to the point he was thinking about keeping a chart or log so he could see where he'd been, so to speak.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was almost to the point he was thinking about keeping a chart or log so he could see where he'd been, so to speak.
Mike was trying to keep track with 'left, middle, right' rotation, but I am sure I messed up that a bit moving down or up a bit further.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use 22 gauge needles, can't bring myself to go to 20 gauge. It takes less than 10 minutes for 100 ml so not that bad really. I don't warm the fluids, they are room temp already as they said I didn't have to refrigerate them. Not warm enough? How do you repeatedly re-warm a 1000 ml bag?

And that is just what I was going to ask next - location. For those of you who had to administer fluids daily, how 'free' were you about where to place the needle? I try to keep in the general area between the shoulder blades, but that is not a whole lot of room to work with when she is being stuck daily. I am thinking there shouldn't be any reason I can't use excess skin areas below that area as well. I was probably closer to that area with the monthly B-12 injections.

No one ever suggested going into the scruff coming from her head!! Wow, I guess I will have to try that. I might have to look that up on YouTube first though!
I wrap the fluid bag in a heating pad on low - it takes about an hour to warm when the bag is full and less time as the bag empties. I rotate the bag a few times to avoid hot spots. This warms it just enough but not too much. I make sure the line gets warmed as well. I am more comfortable with this approach than submerging the bag in water. You can use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature.

I have found it helps to find a balance between needle size and administration time. Twyla won’t tolerate 10 minutes, so I use a 19 gauge needle and we are done in less than five minutes. I also recommend getting a compression bag to use when the fluid level gets low in the bag, as that speeds up the process.

You do not need to go directly between the shoulder blades each time, but can rotate anywhere in the “saddle” area. Over time scar tissue can develop and make sticks more difficult so moving around is a good idea. Over time you may find the fluids go in quicker as the interstitial space where the fluids go loosens up and will more readily accept the fluids.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was using Sub-Q's on Artie, I would warm the bag in a pot of very warm tap water for about 10 minutes. I used a 4 quart pan, leaving the tubing hanging outside the bag. I kept it in my sink. I waited until the hot water was cooled to my body temp or a bit warmer. When at the correct temp, I would wipe off the bag with a towel, and run the line, which was full of cold fluid, out into the sink. That way, there would be no shock when the fluids went in.

I also used an area between the shoulder blades, but on different sides, right, middle, left.
I used 20 gauge or 21 gauge needles. The higher the gauge, the narrower the needle is, the longer for the flow.

I tried to get Artie when he was in a comfortable position, for the Sub-Q's. Usually it was when he was sunning himself on his cat tree. Sometimes, it was when he was lying on my bed. Depending where he was, I would use a clothes hanger. I also put up some of those 3M removable hooks, in order to hook the bag up. I had them in about 3 places in the apartment. Artie loved to crunch on a hair brush, so I would give it to him, while he was having the sub-q's.

This is going back several years, but I was able to find the needles on line, to order, plus the IV Tubing.
I thought it was less expensive than buying from the Vet or a pharmacy. No prescription needed.

At that time, I could get a case of Lactated Ringers from an independent pharmacy. I think, now, I would look around at Costco, etc, to see what the price is. I think a prescription is required for this.

Artie was a terror at the Vets, but, once he got used to me giving him Sub-q's, he was a good patient.
It only took a few days for him to calm down. I did try when he was resting. If you can, give him some treats while the fluid in going in. I used to pet Artie, and tell him how he was such a good boy.

Also, do not get upset if you see the fluid hanging down into his legs. It will be absorbed quickly. It is just something that happens-- even to Vets and Techs.
The big OOPS is when you poke hard enough that the needle goes through the skin and out. This is when the fluid goes flying around the room!! OOPS..... just re-insert needle.

I used a new needle for each stick. They get dull very fast.. and being a medical person, I cannot see injecting with a used needle. I would put a new needle on when I finished. The dull needles seem to cause more pain when inserted; new, sharp needles do not.

The IV line can be used for the entire bag. I would not reuse it with another bag.
I was giving 100 cc of fluid, daily.

I do not know if I have gone into too much detail or not.. but this is what I did.. I hope I gave you some support and some tips. Good Luck ❤

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you warm the fluids in a bowl or pot of water, definitely don't put the IV set up portion in with it. Like artiemom artiemom said, hang that part over the side. I actually used hot water to start (not boiling) the process because it cools down so quickly. And when you clear the line of the cold water then you can test the temp to see how it feels.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I warmed the bag in a long container filled with hot water, left the line set up outside of it of course, but never thought to drain the liquid that was in the line first before administering. I know it sounds picky, but draining the line will reduce the amount given so it isn't 100 ml each time - yes? Is what is in the line all that cold??

I am also storing the bag, in between treatments, wrapped in a towel, just so the A/C is not going to affect it as much.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I do not drain the line after warming. I just get a large mug of hot water out of my keurig (sometimes two depending on how much is in the bag) put the fluids in a bag and then put the bag in the long container -

IMG_6066.jpg

Warming the fluids makes a difference. Abby is much less fidgety when the fluids are warmed.

The bag goes on a hook on a curtain rod and Abby is on the couch with my husband holding her. There is a treat next to her that she knows she will get after.

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

The vet gives these needles and they are awful. It's like sticking a pipe into her.

IMG_6067.jpg

An old TCS member sent me some Terumo thin-walled needles. HUGE difference. I bought these with no prescription needed:

Terumo Needles Ultra Thin Wall 20 Gauge 1 inch Box of 100

My vet also suggested putting some lidocaine in the area to numb it before we give her fluids. I bought this at CVS and put a little on a q-tip and put it in the area about a half hour before -

IMG_6065.jpg

At this time I'm only giving her fluids twice a week, 100ml. I'm still getting them from the vet as well. They will no longer send prescriptions to companies online and I would have to get a paper prescription and mail it to a place. I'm starting to question how much longer Abby will be with us, so I haven't pursued getting the fluids in another way yet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, too, gets treats right after we are finished with the sub-Q fluids. 18 gauge needles would be awful!!! I had my choice of 22 or 20 and I am using 22 because they are smaller but still allow a reasonable flow. If anyone thinks there can't be much of a difference between 18, 20, and 22 gauge needles they should look at them side-by-side!!!!!! I am sure you compared the vet's 18G to the 20G you are using, so you know what I am talking about!

I am also wondering how long we will have with Feeby, so one of the reasons to just stick with the sub-Q fluids from the vet for now. She goes in for a re-check this coming Friday to see if the daily sub-Qs have helped to lower her kidney values. If they haven't, I don't know what is next...