Stumped

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - someone dropped off a stray cat near our house. I have been feeding him regularly and trying to get him to let me handle him. I only succeed at getting him about 3 feet - I can tell he would like to but won't take the next step. I have 7 rescue cats that I adopted and have decided that I would bring this guy (about 10 months) into the fold. I have placed a wormer in the food so that is done, but I have to be able to clean him up, get flea meds on him, get the ear mites taken care of then take him to the vet for shots and neuter before I can introduce him to the others. The one cat that I have let outside on a lead tied to the porch gets along with him fine, they lay together etc. I have always had cats, and this guy has me stumped at how to get him to trust me. I spend time everyday with him outside talking to him and coaxing him. He has no problems letting me know when he wants food. Any hints? I don't want to live trap him unless it is last resort, I am afraid I will frighten him all the more. My goal is to get him settled in before it gets too cold outdoors. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How to Socialize Feral Kittens<br/> — Kitten Lady
A Guide to Socializing Older (Fractious) Kittens

Thank you for helping this cat. Most socialization guides start with, or after, the trapping of the cat. He is brought inside into a small, confined space which is comfortable for him, and then the socialization starts. You might try some of those techniques outside though. Do you think that he will allow himself to be touched with a wand toy or a soft cloth on a stick? Will he come closer for treats? Can you sit next to him when he eats? This can take a while, but I have had the "little by little" approach work for lots of strays and even true ferals.

He sounds more like a cautious stray than a feral. His behaviors like sitting with your outdoor cat and asking for food are not those of a true feral; you are probably right that he is abandoned intentionally.

If you have to trap him, it is not the worst thing. He will be upset, but will be taken to the vet (I assume right away) to be fixed and then brought inside and socialized there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. My guess is that he may have been abused before abandoned. I will try to wand toy tonight. He doesn't come closer for treats, you have to put them in a little bowl. I do sit as close to him as he will allow when he eats, about 3 feet. I just feel like I am at a standstill right now. I may have to do the live trap, I still don't want to frighten him to the point of running away from us and staying away. I would catch him and give him a day or two to get used to me before the vet approach I think. I think he is still young enough to intermingle with my group, there will be a little resistance from a couple, but it is nothing new to them. His ears bother him and are sometimes scratched to the point of bleeding so I want to get treating those right away, and I have everything to do that. Other than the ears he appears healthy. l

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you do the live trap, he may briefly regress once he is inside and hide. At that point, assuming that he has some kind of space of his own, start to work with him again to regain his trust. Keep reminding yourself that he will be very happy in the long run once he figures out that he has a good home. It is never a straight line from point A to point B with these cats who had hard lives or were ex ferals.