Struggling to eradicate ringworm

Bancho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I'm battling with confirmed ringworm; initially started in my Persian cat but unfortunately traveled to my Snowshoe cat (and me). My Persian has it on his belly but my Snowshoe unfortunately got it on his mouth. I so far finished just 1 week of Intrafungol systemic treatment but I'm struggling with concomitant topical treatment for my Snowshoe's lesion on his mouth area because he will just lick it off. Any idea on how to apply topical treatments in the mouth area?

Also, I bought a UV light wood's lamp and both of my cat's lesions are still glowing despite 1 week treatment of Itrafungol. I know it's 5 week treatment overall, but does anyone know when the glowing should stop? They are isolated in a specific room that I'm sanitizing and vacuuming daily.

Also, what would happen if the lesions are still present and glowing under UV after 5 weeks of treatment with Itrafungol? Is therapy repeated?

(I attached a photo of my cat's glowing ringworm lesion on his mouth)

Thank you for ANY guidance! Truly appreciate it; it's been a stressful time.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bancho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I've read many ringworm success stories which is encouraging but I cant find any information what to do topically if the lesion is on the mouth.
The basics of treating ringworm = systemic treatment + topical treatment
But I can't do topical treatment because it's on my cat's mouth near his nose where he naturally licks his nose thus removing any topical treatment that's put there.

So I'm wondering, how do I topically treat a lesion that's on the mouth?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes I've read many ringworm success stories which is encouraging but I cant find any information what to do topically if the lesion is on the mouth.
The basics of treating ringworm = systemic treatment + topical treatment
But I can't do topical treatment because it's on my cat's mouth near his nose where he naturally licks his nose thus removing any topical treatment that's put there.

So I'm wondering, how do I topically treat a lesion that's on the mouth?
Hang on in there, maybe someone with similar situation and have experience it may be able to help you. :hangin:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had to treat ringworm, so this may be entirely unhelpful. Is it possible to use (and safe?) a ringworm shampoo and clean the lesion? You would have to rinse it off, but it might temporarily put some medication on the spot and help a little bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bancho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never had to treat ringworm, so this may be entirely unhelpful. Is it possible to use (and safe?) a ringworm shampoo and clean the lesion? You would have to rinse it off, but it might temporarily put some medication on the spot and help a little bit.
We have the shampoo but it must stay on for 10 minutes for it to be effective which is impossible for a mouth lesion :(