Stressed or something more worrisome?

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I am in need of advice for my 1 year old kitty. I have not had a cat before so I do not know what is normal for stress and not.

About 3 days ago I started moving and dropped my cat off with my mom. She has been to her house before and normally is fine. I visit her everyday, but today my mom told me my cat seemed “depressed.” When I came she didn’t even seem interested that I was here. I brought her downstairs and she wanted nothing to do with us. She went back upstairs in the same room she had been in all day. She used the restroom this morning and ate last night. Nothing today. She will let you pet her (which she is normally feisty so that is odd) and just loafs. She doesn’t want to get up and move at all. When she walks she is slow and looks really off in some way. I tried feeding her a churu, her favorite snack, and she turned her nose to it.

Should I wait until tomorrow to take her to the vet if she still has not eaten? Could this just be normal stress reaction? How do I know the difference between a sick cat or a stressed one? Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update: she threw up bile

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The bile could be acid build up in her stomach from not eating. Did your mom feed her something different than what you normally feed her - something that could have upset her stomach? Anything else out of the ordinary at your mom's? Has she stayed there before for days at a time?

Can you get some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 of Beechnut) and see if she will eat that? A lot of cats that are lacking an appetite will still eat the baby food meat.

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. The bile could be acid build up in her stomach from not eating. Did your mom feed her something different than what you normally feed her - something that could have upset her stomach? Anything else out of the ordinary at your mom's? Has she stayed there before for days at a time?

Can you get some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 of Beechnut) and see if she will eat that? A lot of cats that are lacking an appetite will still eat the baby food meat.
Thank you for replying! Yes, she has stayed there before for multiple days that is why I was worried when she was acting weird. My mom fed her how she normally does. I am going to the store now to get some baby food! Fingers crossed that she eats it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is missing you and doesn't know what's going on. She's confused. Do you have some unwashed clothes or towels you can leave at your mom's for her to lay on so she can smell you when you're not there to visit? Also, the stress of being in a new environment without the security of her own things and her own human with familiar smells and sounds is stressful and upsetting. It's common for kitties to not eat or use the box (similar to when you bring a new kitty home) in stressful situations. If you have calming agents, you can try some of those until you can get her to the vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fact that she vomited bile and is acting abnormal warrants a vet visit. She has stayed there before and was fine but now acts weird. She should see a vet. Does your mom have any plants or flowers in the house?

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that she vomited bile and is acting abnormal warrants a vet visit. She has stayed there before and was fine but now acts weird. She should see a vet. Does your mom have any plants or flowers in the house?
No flowers or plants since Ivy loves to eat them.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feel like this warrants a visit to the vet.
You explaining that she is acting completely abnormal and throwing up. Is there anyway you can get her in to see a vet?

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds a bit like she may have gotten into something or is in pain, cats sit loaf when in pain. I would make an appointment with the vet.

Is she grimacing at all? Pain assessment in cats | Feline Grimace Scale

This scale could give a rough idea if she is in pain.
Wow I hadn’t seen that scale before but she is definitely making that face. I took her to the vet today and they are thinking UTI or gastroenteritis? They ended up giving her 2 shots and hopefully it clears things up.

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also feel like this warrants a visit to the vet.
You explaining that she is acting completely abnormal and throwing up. Is there anyway you can get her in to see a vet?
Yes, I took her this afternoon and they believe it is a UTI or something going on with her belly. They gave her 2 shots. Thank you for your insight.

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Let us know what happens.
Thank you everyone!! I took her to the earliest appointment they had since she looked pretty sick today. The vet said she most likely has a UTI or something wrong with her belly. They gave her an antibiotic and anti nausea shot that should help her quickly. If she is still getting worse I will go back for X-rays. Again thank you everyone! I didn’t know that cats could get sick so quickly. I really appreciate all of your help

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!! I took her to the earliest appointment they had since she looked pretty sick today. The vet said she most likely has a UTI or something wrong with her belly. They gave her an antibiotic and anti nausea shot that should help her quickly. If she is still getting worse I will go back for X-rays. Again thank you everyone! I didn’t know that cats could get sick so quickly. I really appreciate all of your help
The worst part about cats and being sick and in pain... they try to hide it and they are good at it.
They do this because it is basically encoded in their brain. Out in the wild a predator will pick up if they are sick or in pain..

I am so glad you took her to the vet..
What tests did they do to come to the conclusion either a UTI or something wrong with her belly?
If it is her belly did they say what it may be?

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The worst part about cats and being sick and in pain... they try to hide it and they are good at it.
They do this because it is basically encoded in their brain. Out in the wild a predator will pick up if they are sick or in pain..

I am so glad you took her to the vet..
What tests did they do to come to the conclusion either a UTI or something wrong with her belly?
If it is her belly did they say what it may be?
So Ivy is pretty feisty and the vet sedated her about a month ago to get a full exam. They wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong anywhere before they prescribed Prozac. With that they also checked her urine. After I brought her in today they looked back at her urine and said it did not show infection at the time but there were elevated levels of pH, some crystals, and bacteria. The vet said it most likely turned into a UTI so we are getting another sample to rule that out. They said if it wasn’t a UTI it was something with her belly because when they pressed on it she was pretty sore. She has now eaten a little and the antibiotic shot should cover the UTI!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Ivy is pretty feisty and the vet sedated her about a month ago to get a full exam. They wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong anywhere before they prescribed Prozac. With that they also checked her urine. After I brought her in today they looked back at her urine and said it did not show infection at the time but there were elevated levels of pH, some crystals, and bacteria. The vet said it most likely turned into a UTI so we are getting another sample to rule that out. They said if it wasn’t a UTI it was something with her belly because when they pressed on it she was pretty sore. She has now eaten a little and the antibiotic shot should cover the UTI!
First I want to say thank you for thebupdate and that info.
I'm glad it seems she is starting to feel better ❤😺