Stress colitis troubleshoot

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! So my kitty has been diagnosed with stress colitis and currently, it comes and goes in waves (as colitis does). His poops are generally pretty healthy minus the mucus and sometimes blood and we're troubleshooting what to do to help him long-term.

I will note that he has had more flares since last summer post anesthesia complications that resulted in many vet visits (I'm thinking longer-term trauma there). He is overall doing great right now, but I am really trying to see what things that have worked for those who also dealt with this and ideas to troubleshoot, especially with mucus.

Currently he's on
50mg gabapentin every night
Felix's Flora by adored beast 1/16 tsp (we're working our way up)
and S. Boullardi as needed
Feliway is always on

Thanks for your help! :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an IBD kitty with a history of gastroenteritis and pancreatitis. We haven't dealt with mucus, but I know it's sometimes common in IBD kitties. We have lots of experience with flares and loose stools and diarrhea, though.

What are you feeding him? Have you tried a novel protein that's not chicken or fish? Have you tried Metronidazole to help firm up poops? Have you added plain canned pumpkin puree or Diggin' Firm Up dried pumpkin sprinkled in food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He currently eats a cooked diet that has been formulated through justfoodfordogs which uses turkey and we do generally avoid chicken and fish.

Have not tried Metro yet–but the vet wasn't too keen on it quite yet because his stools aren't loose just mucus-y, although we are considering it. We tried pumpkin puree but one time it made him yowel while pooping (poop wasn't hard at all). Maybe I will try the Firm Up next!

Never thought this would be such trial and error 😓

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can find a novel protein, just one protein that's not fowl, I would try that. Many IBD owners have good luck with rabbit, but it gives my kitty diarrhea, so we feed venison and an rx food. Have you tried Gut Soothe from Adored Beast? Many have good outcomes with that, but again, it gives my boy diarrhea, so we don't give it to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinaxcheng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try a novel protein! I assume beef isn't one? I haven't tried gut soothe yet but I have it - he didn't do too hot on nexabiotic or HG so I am a little scared to try another one. Does well on felix's flora though!