Stray Pregnant Cat?

Skylar264

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently, a cat has been greeting me and following me every time I visit my mom. I noticed a week or two ago that she was looking a little chunky, but I played with her and fed her earlier today and her belly is slightly distended, but she hasn't gained noticable weight anywhere else. I want to take her to the vet, and confirm that she's pregnant (and find her a safe place to stay if so), because she doesn't trust me enough to let me look at her tummy, but I'm also not sure whether she's simply an outdoor cat, or a stray. I don't want to steal her. She's not super dirty or mangy, but shes fairly skinny and I see her out and about often and she has a few scars. What's the best thing for me to do? If she's very far along, I wouldn't want her having babies here because there is a lot of traffic and other cats to impregnate them if they're not taken in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could knock on the doors of neigborhood, and ask around, if anybody knows anything. Ask kids around, especielly girls. (boys could get foul ideas).
You could hang up a collar with a message capsule.

As you are fairly sure she is homeless, I would recommend you take her in, into her prepared safe room. She will surely be stressed in the beginning, but will quickly enough notice everything is prepared for her wellbeing and safety, so soon enough she will settle down and adapt.
Especielly as she is preg, she knows she must find some safe place for her babies.

And seek the owner parallelly afterwards, if there is any. Here you have the variation of hanging up messages around hers old neigborhood.

Successful homeless arent usually in very bad shape. As being in bad shape is usually the first decisive step to death. And the succesfull homeless are per defintiions survivors. They hadnt perished.

If they are in visibly bad shape, they are sooner dumped or astray...

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can at least keep gaining her trust with really yummy food. Eventually she may let you get close to see if there are kittens moving, that is a for sure sign that she is pregnant. If that is the case, I would bring her home with you if you can. Feed her well and meanwhile put up a few flyers and post on a few lot/found sites that you found her. If no one claims her then reasonable that she does not have a (decent) owner and you could keep her or contact a no-kill shelter for help. You can post pictures of her here and we can take a look to see if she looks obviously pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skylar264

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can at least keep gaining her trust with really yummy food. Eventually she may let you get close to see if there are kittens moving, that is a for sure sign that she is pregnant. If that is the case, I would bring her home with you if you can. Feed her well and meanwhile put up a few flyers and post on a few lot/found sites that you found her. f no one claims her then reasonable that she does not have a (decent) owner and you could keep her or contact a no-kill shelter for help. You can post pictures of her here and we can take a look to see if she looks obviously pregnant.
This is her. Her belly isn't huge, which is why I'm not sure, but it's slightly rounded and it seems out of proportion to the rest of her body from certain angles. But i looked at her tummy, and i couldn't see any nipples, so maybe I'm wrong?
20200426_224452.jpg
20200426_224350.jpg

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell from these angels, could be just fat. If you could get one from overhead view when she is standing. But yes, we would expect to seem some enlarged nipples if pregnant, but you have to be able to get close to see that.