Stray Outdoor Cat, Trying To Teach It To Stay Indoors.

Greykittymonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I moved into a brand new apartment and in my balcony there was this young Russian Blue cat that was relaxing there. It surprisingly didn't run away at the first sight of humans and after feeding it just once it already started becoming very comfortable with me. Such as the purring, her body caressing with my hands, she laying on her side and allowing me to rub her belly, and the nose-to-nose kisses. She is around the age of 1 or 2 and she is definitely pregnant.

I took her to the vet to get her checked and the vet confirmed that she is definitely pregnant, this means that until the date of her delivery I can't give her any vaccine shots.
Back to the point, since she has been outside her whole life (from my assumption) she has been sleeping on my balcony every night however some nights she goes out and comes back in the morning. I tried to get her to become a indoor cat and try to get her to stay indoor as much as possible until she gives birth (for her health and safety, so she doesn't delivery the kittens in some random dirty bush) but she really does not stay indoor for too long because she will eventually meow to go outside and won't stop until she is out..

I'm guessing it's because I haven't made a litter box system for her where she can go indoors instead of outdoors, but I feel its the fact she is accustomed to being outdoors that staying indoors isn't her cup of tea.

Is there anything I can try to do to get her to become accustomed to being a traditional indoor cat, like using catnip or setting up a litter box, or should I just deal with this because she grew up being outdoors.
20746750_10211668688526338_990240451_o.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with the necessary; ie litter box - preferably 2, as free living cats dont pee and poo on the same place.
some hidey - cat igloo or sideturned cardboard box with a fleece towel inside... Scratching post, some toys and things to do...
Advantage II is a good defleaser if you would need. I presume Revolution shuld be OK too - its also a dewormer. As you are paying patient to this vet, you can ask what dewormers he recommoneds in her situation.

As you say, vaccinating must wait.

Also, being that friendly, she is sooner dumped than semi-feral.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a litter box. Put a bit of soil from outdoors in with the litter. Keep a bowl of dry food out 24/7, she'll have a ravenous appetite the further she advances in pregnancy. Also water bowl, toys, a scratching post. If this doesn't work, consider setting up a pet house of some sort with a blanket and straw in it on your balcony for her to deliver the kittens in

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do all of the above, and simply do not let her out when she meows. She will adjust!

Poor thing looks very young, and was probably left behind by a tenant.

Thank you for taking her in!