Stray or feral?

GenevieveJodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a cat for around a month. He/she looked skinny and I kept seeing it on our cameras at all times of day so I was worried it was stray. I trapped it about three days ago and now have it living in my shower away from my other pets. he will eat and drink and is consistently using the litter box. he makes eye contact but won’t take food or treats from my hand. I haven’t tried to pet or handle him because I’m a little too scared about getting bit or scratched. I have had my hand within several cm of his face though without hissing or growling. did not have a collar and I don’t believe is chipped (we got the scanner pretty close but he was still in the cage). obviously can’t tell if it’s fixed or gender. I think it’s still early but is there anything in there that makes it more likely that he’s stray vs feral? I don’t want to have to release him because I live in Canada and it’s starting to get cold. but I also worry that if he’s feral he will never be an indoor cat and I shouldn’t have trapped him in the first place. I think I’m being impatient and will have to give it more time to get used to me. Just need some reassurance that I didn’t do the wrong thing by trapping him I guess 😕 I attached two pictures. the one from outside is almost a month ago where he looked skinny. he has filled in more now I think from being fed consistently

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's great that you took him/her in! The article above should help you decide feral or stray, but from you describe this cat is likely a stray - and acts just like a stray we had around here a while back. She gradually came around, even allowed petting and even being held. It took a few weeks to accomplish things like getting her to take food from hands, but eventually she did. I'd say you have a really good chance to seeing this cat come around in time!