Stray Mother With A Loud Mouth

TEKW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we've had these stray cats in our care for 6 weeks now.
Story rundown:
The mother had kittens in the bush right outside our front door and our landlord asked if we could take them in until they were ready to go. (She tends to a flock of ferals and is part of a TNR program.)
So we brought the mom in, she's very friendly and awful young herself. And with her came two tiny, not even a day old, babies. Everyone is weird with extra toes.

Now 6 weeks later, the kittens are finally eating and playing and using litter all by themselves (took to litter immediately, not one accident outside the box), they rarely call for mom and spend the whole day eating food, sleeping, and tearing the place apart.

Mom spends more and more time back outside with the colony now, but still comes in to clean them and have her own special meal. Only the past week she's been absolutely yowling nonstop.
She was always very verbal with small mews and tons of trilling, but now when she comes in she sits in the middle of the floor and yowls. Horribly loud if nobody is within eyesight. Its become quite the pain, we nearly don't want to have her back in anymore because of it, but because the babies need her we endure.
She's never made such loud horrible sounds and if she's ignored she'll jump onto the counter (where she knows we'll remove her or tell her to get down)
Is there anyone who has advice for a suddenly loud, mother cat? I sometimes feel like she's suffering from empty nest syndrome.

(incl. old photo of the mom the day she came into our care)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TEKW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When will she be spayed?
Our landlord has her scheduled for that, but besides her telling us that she's made the appointment, we usually don't hear from her until she shows up on our doorstep with the crate.
Won't be too long if I had to guess from her previous vet swoops by our place.

TEKW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should find out. I would guess that the cat is in heat.
She's only showing the sign of yowling, but otherwise nothing else.
She performs no lordosis, no licking, not really anything other than sudden yowling when entering the room.
None of the males outside (all are spayed anyways) show any interest in her and she shuts up immediately upon going outside, just sits in the same spot by the scratching log.

I'll definitely find out though, just in case. Thanks.

TEKW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*neutered