Stray momma giving birth--please help someone!

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help I found a stray momma cat! She will only let me pet her. Didn’t know she was pregnant when I found her under my shed, she was deathly thin. I have gotten her weight up but now you can tell she is pregnant forsure!

Attachments

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dunno but she is cool looking. has she been to the vet yet? you def should get her to one soon. being starved while preggers might be a concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will not let me pick her up nor will go in carrier. I think she only let me pet her because I helped her. I open my back door she finally came in so I called a vet they said just watch her and after babies born see how she is.

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is big though 20-21 inches long without tale. I’ve never had a cat but this is a first

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prob domestic shorthair. The pattern is brown ticked tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps be sure she gets nourishing food, lotsa calcium. (Goats milk good ) and perhaps some nice vitamine paste...

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went and got the goats milk. But vitamin paste is okay with her being pregnant? And thank you everyone for the help

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went and got the goats milk. But vitamin paste is okay with her being pregnant? And thank you everyone for the help
also be sure to check the ingredients of the goats milk. i bought some goats milk from my pet supply store and it had cinnamon in it which his not ok so you have to be on alert even from trusteud places it seems. I almost just gave it to the baby cats. it was only by accident i saw it.

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
also be sure to check the ingredients of the goats milk. i bought some goats milk from my pet supply store and it had cinnamon in it which his not ok so you have to be on alert even from trusteud places it seems. I almost just gave it to the baby cats. it was only by accident i saw it.
Peculiar the pet shop had such an irregular goats milk!

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so last i posted I have a stray momma cat that I found in real bad shape and pregnant. So she won’t let me pick up nor will she go into carrier. Called the vet, the nurse came out to my house looked at her, she got 2 shots was doing wonderful last week. Well now she went into labor. She gave birth to 2 very small maybe 5 or 6 week old fetus. 3rd one I have no clue what it was. 4th one was so big it was stuck she ended up eating it front legs because his neck was turned to his body trying to come out. 5th one came out maybe 10 minutes later is alive and doing well but mom wants nothing to do with it. You can still see movement in her belly. Vet says as long as she is giving birth without complications nothing they can do.

First picture is the 5th kitten
Second picture is the fourth kitten
IMG_4769.jpeg
71345258806__840B7EFA-A4FB-4B60-92F8-D05F37DE5DE6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.... she most likely doesn't want to care for the 5th kitten because she is still in labor. She may be too exhausted too. Please supplement the living kitten with a dropper in the side of the mouth with kitten replacement milk. Every two hours until mama accepts him. Keep him warm, a chilled kitten won't eat and won't survive. If she doesn't clean his bottom and stimulate him to go potty, etc. you will have to do that too with a warm wet wash cloth. there is a woman on the internet, Google The kitten Lady, she has videos that explain all.
It sounds like she mated at several different times, thus the difference in the kittens' gestational ages. Or they died in the womb because of her not having enough to eat or stress. it is very common for cat's to have different father's fro their little ones at slightly different times. Watch her and make sure she delivers any more safely. I will pray for you both......
That poor sweet mama! thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking her in, you will be blessed for your kindness.

Last edited:

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I already went to tractor supply and got supplemental milk. I just feel so bad for her. 5th kitten checks out 100% healthy per vet. Oh I didn’t realize that her picking him up and tossing him around like she did is a way of trying to kill it. Vet says to keep him away from mom because she more than likely will kill it just because she thinks she is miscarriages. Thank you though. I love animals, can’t stand to see people abandon them and abuse them. It’s not the momma fault.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try allowing the last baby to nurse on the mama kitty as long as you closely supervise. Her colostrum is extremely helpful in helping develop a healthy digestive system but there is a very limited time for her body to produce it . After the chaos of birth, mama kitty may need time to settle down. During birthing, especially after the breech baby (poor little thing), she may have been crazy with pain. It is much easier on all 3 of you if she helps with the mothering. Thank you for the pictures - the markings are spectacular!

Minnett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I took everyone advice and after a couple of near heart attacks lol she allowed the kitten to nurse. Of course I stayed right there just to assure her she was a good momma and doing awesome! So here is a picture to warm everyone’s heart!
IMG_4798.jpeg
IMG_4799.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update: I took everyone advice and after a couple of near heart attacks lol she allowed the kitten to nurse. Of course I stayed right there just to assure her she was a good momma and doing awesome! So here is a picture to warm everyone’s heart!View attachment 457173View attachment 457174View attachment 457175
Splendid. Continue to weigh him daily (in the beginning even every 12 hours till you are sure he gains).

Because, a weak kitten sometimes seems to nurse, but isnt really getting in much... And so, must be handfeed ALSO for a time...

And he will nurse if he is able to, because momma is always nicest... So he WILL nurse some, if he has the strenght for that, even if you handfeed.

A healthy kitten gains typically 10+ grammes a day; but in the beginning 6grammes is OK.