Stray losing weight and fur

Gogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m just a new cat carer and new to this site. Over the past 18 months I’ve been looking after 5 stray kittens. The one I’m concerned about is just a year old but over these past 3-4 weeks has been loosing his fur, loosing a lot of weight and I notice that he’s drinking a lot of water. His siblings now look so much bigger that him. I’ve had them all neutered/spayed. Thinking it may be worms I bought some treatment but it’s difficult to know if he got enough. Any suggestion as to what it could be? It’s breaking my heart to see the lovely fella unwell and I’d hate to think he was suffering. Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gogo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With strays it could literally be anything from mange to parasites to an allergy. Trap the cat and take it to the vet.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll attempt to trap him tomorrow and take him to the vet. Is there any advice how to trap one specific cat out of 5? As a newbie any advice will be gratefully received.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set up my humane trap with a 1/2 gallon milk jug propping up the door, partially filled with water so they don't accidentally knock it over. I usually set it up a week before the trapping to get them used to it. If you have more than one that is great, better chances, set them all up with bottles. After they get used to going into the traps by moving the food further and further into the traps, on the day of trapping tie a long string to each milk jug and have them long enough to sit about 20 feet from the traps. Make SURE you unhook the doors and they are in 'trap' mode, just propped open by the jugs to one side! Place the small plate of food UNDER the trap on the far end so it is not inside with the cat. Wait until the cat you want enters and pull the string hard towards you on that trap. I find this way is really easy to get the cat you want. If you only have one trap and 5 cats on that last day you will have to put a LOT of food on the plate in case a few go in before the cat you want. Have a blanket ready to throw over the trap as soon as you catch him, it calms them down a lot. All the luck!