Stray Kitty

Pepperhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all..a few months ago a female cat has started visiting only at night. I never see her during the day. I have been feeding her and she now will sit in my lap outside. I brought her in once and she was not happy. I have a little dog house she sleeps in at night outside but she is gone in the mornings. It is going to be freezing tonight and I am worried about her. My question is if I bring her in tonight and let her out in the morning will that put her in danger? I think she is used to roaming at night. I worry about cars and hawks etc since they are more of a threat during the day..I think she may sleep somewhere during the day and is not used to roaming at that time. Her left ear is clipped so I think she is a catch and release. Thoughts? I have named her Pickles. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try bringing her in and confining her to your room only for awhile, with her food, water, and litter box in there too.

Over a few weeks, she may adjust beautifully to being an inside cat.

If so, she can eventually have the run of the house. It just takes time, sometimes a few months, but most cats end up being happier inside than outside.

Give it a try, and ignore her asking to go out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pepperhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try bringing her in and confining her to your room only for awhile, with her food, water, and litter box in there too.

If so, she can eventually have the run of the house. It just takes time, sometimes a few months, but most cats end up being happier inside than outside.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree completely; you won't get better advice than this.

Pepperhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. That is what I am hoping for. :) I am not a fan of outdoor cats. My last rescue Pepper lived to be about 19 years old. He passed away last August. The same month almost to the day when Pickles showed up. When I was working at an apartment community back in 1998 Pepper showed showed up. He was a young cat that someone left behind when they moved out and we took care of him. He was our office kitty. He would sleep on the calculator,,you know the big ones lol. When they sold the property they said the cat had to go..well no way! I took him home and the rest is history. I am hoping that Pickles will be comfortable being inside like Pepper did. She looks so much like Pepper!

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with all above! Pickles will probably take some time to adjust to being an "indoor only" cat - - but you'll likely extend her life by 10-12 years by doing so! If she's sitting in your lap she's obviously not a feral kitty (she was probably a stray that was caught and TNR'd - - it definitely doesn't mean she is - or ever was - feral). She's obviously bonded to you already!

But she will probably take a little of time to adjust to a fully indoor life. And until she adjusts - she may fuss sometimes - but remember what you're doing for her (extending her life, keeping her from cars/hawks/dogs/etc., and making sure she doesn't get into fights with other cats).

As Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said - - keep her in one room until you see her comfort & confidence level go up. Make sure it has food, water, a litter box, some toys, and at least one or two soft things to sleep on. It helps if she has things to sleep in/on that provide a kind of comfort and sense of safety - where she's enclosed a bit. We usually at least provide one cat carrier with the door off - and something soft inside. And we use a box, also filled with something like fleece (if you can avoid towels for the moment that's best - bc chances are her nails are long, and her nails can get caught in a loop in the terry fabric and she can panic). A small room is best (like a spare bedroom), and make sure there aren't many places she can hide in and hole up (if it's a bedroom, we put the mattress on the floor, close closet doors, stuff towels/books under the bottoms of dressers, etc.). We always put in a radio or TV and leave it going 24/7 - on something soft and soothing - - like classical or NPR (not heavy metal) on the radio, or something where lots of yelling happens if you're using a tv (we use HGTV alot). Sit in with her as often as you can and talk to her. We read aloud alot to ours that we socialize. And we only leave dry food out 24/7 -- - we bring in the soft food when we come in. That way they really look at you as the giver of extra special yummy stuff!! We always announce we're coming into the room with a little "sing song" to our voice, softly "singing" (and I use the term loosely!) something like "we're here with special treats for Pickles....we can't wait to see Pickles...".

And I'd really resist letting her roam the house until you feel she's really more comfortable inside. It's 100% best for her - - -and I think it's great for you too :) After all - she chose you! Keep us posted on her adjustment!

Pepperhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Pickles. She has been coming in on her own at night. This is amazing because she normally howls and wants out immediately. :) I keep her isolated in the kitchen away from my other pets and let her out in the morning. Tonight she is not so keen on coming in so I have a heater outside on the deck near her little dog house that she often sleep in.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pepperhead Pepperhead

Take and keep her in! Its incumbent on YOU to act in her best interests...take the initiative...YOU'VE got to implement the action. Don't know your locality, but so cold right now, the weather should also influence your decision and actions. Safety, security is primary. Get her in....the sooner you do, the sooner he'll be integrated and happy. The fact that she is spayed and in your lap already...you are way ahead.

I'll further submit...these stray, (likely) former house cats are actually seeking a home. Other than interacting, they can't convey their needs...after eating and interacting with us they leave because they have conditioned themselves to thrive their own way in their own current environment. Its up to US to interdict and "show them the way" ...leading to a new life indoors. The vast majority will become willing participants....even (given time) ferals.

I hate to sound "militant" or extreme....but the choice is obvious..you must take action and implement, utilizing the methods posted above by kittychick, 1cat, s arthur. These guys are all experienced, offering solid advise.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty obvious she has chosen you? By coming in and staying, being a lap cat, etc. Since you appear to feel the same way a bond is already being formed. She is agreeing to be part of your family and to rely on you for shelter, food, love and most of all protection. In turn, based on my experience, she will provide love, purrs, head butts and all those things that are her way of saying "thank you" for caring. Give her that chance and try keeping her in to fulfill your part of the "bargain ". I believe you will find,with patience, both of you will grow to enjoy each other inside where she is the safest.

Keep the faith and let us know how she does.