Stray Kitten With Bad Eye Problem

MarealMurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this kitten who was basically blind outside because both of his eyes were crusted shut. I cleaned them and a lot of pus started pouring out. I brought him to a vet and ended up spending a little over $500 to have him seen and treated. They told me it was just a simple eye infection and gave me terramycin and told me to apply it twice a day. This seems to have worked very well and the pus and swelling is gone but there is still this gray blob on eye. It moves with the eye as well. The blob has not changed at all or possibly has gotten worse/protruding out of the eye more. Pictures are a day old and he looks a lot better now but its very hard to get a picture. As of this morning the swollen eyelids and the pus is gone. I'm not sure what to do as I spent all of my money to have him seen.
384476175_7023060157758501_2293749922379943297_n.jpg
382708364_1733612633757063_3720099896657432218_n.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He needs to be seen by a vet again. I think that is going to need a course of antibiotics to clear up completely. He has some nasal discharge as well, has he been sneezing?

It could be that he has been exposed to the feline herpes virus, which is very common among stray and feral cat populations.

Feline HerpesVirus (FHV) Infection | International Cat Care

I have an adult male cat who was in a very similar state when I first found him. He ended up blind in one eye, but this doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Can you take him back to your vet again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarealMurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He needs to be seen by a vet again. I think that is going to need a course of antibiotics to clear up completely. He has some nasal discharge as well, has he been sneezing?

It could be that he has been exposed to the feline herpes virus, which is very common among stray and feral cat populations.

Feline HerpesVirus (FHV) Infection | International Cat Care

I have an adult male cat who was in a very similar state when I first found him. He ended up blind in one eye, but this doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Can you take him back to your vet again?
Unfortunately I spent everything I had for the first vet visit and wouldnt be able to take him again for another two weeks. Is there anything I could do in the meantime to help him? This is an up to date picture of his eye

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he easy to handle? I suggest you use some warm water and cotton wool balls to clean his nose and ears, that will make him a bit more comfortable.

Try calling your vet, explaining the situation (Send these pictures of the kitten) and ask if they will let you have some antibiotics now that you can pay for later. If you leave infections untreated they just get worse and worse and he could easily lose his eye. As you've already paid for the initial consultation a course of antibiotics will be much less than the original amount you paid.