Stray Kitten Standing Out From Siblings

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all. So my dad found three little kittens in some rubble. Two of them socialized right away. The third is not. I can't tell if she is sick or not - she hisses and growls at any touch or interaction, but does not attack. However, when I picked her up she howl-shrieked when her belly sides were touched. It sounded like agony, and it made me feel like s***. I'm trying to get her to the vet's office but they will not get back to me.
Do you think she is sick, maybe with worms? (her tummy is a bit bloated and she has diarrhea) and/or is she just having a harder time adjusting? She's warming up to me, but still is so wary and tense.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! First think I want to say is I'm glad you found your way here to thecatsite.com - - -there are lots of people here with lots of experience in so many types of cat-oriented situations. And lots of people who are willing to listen, or offer a shoulder if you just need to talk. Sometimes, best of all, even if no one here has an answer, they can help you FIND a source that CAN help you find an answer!

First, I don't know quite what the best advice in this situation is (on this site, we are note supposed to give definitive medical advice). I'd suggest that you perhaps you get some good photos (getting as close as you can without disturbing any of the the family unit). Do you have a vet for a pet you already own? Could you take the pictures in to see this vet, along with your descriptions? (Taking the kitten itself would be VERY difficult without upsetting mom/family/kitten, etc. - and possibly aggravating the kitten further))

She does sound like she could possibly have a bad round of worms, but it sounds like it could be several things (if her belly is round and hard to the touch, even sensitive to the touch, it sounds like she's uncomfortable and I would want a baby that uncomfortable to see a vet). I wouldn't be comfortable saying what it sounds like it is, just going off the description (Even though you want to fix her, I'm sure you understand! :()

Do you have a traveling (or 'mobile" vet in the area? Some do, particularly in your part of the US), and they're MUCH more knowledgeable and the diseases, etc.they often carry, plus the diseases and parasites that are prevalent in that part of the country. And they often are very understandable about money being an issue, and are willing to talk with someone re: the money and crisis that arise when "insta=family" shows up!!!!

Hopefully someone from Florida will offer specific advice!!!!

Keep us posted on your little brood! Think of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! First think I want to say is I'm glad you found your way here to thecatsite.com - - -there are lots of people here with lots of experience in so many types of cat-oriented situations. And lots of people who are willing to listen, or offer a shoulder if you just need to talk. Sometimes, best of all, even if no one here has an answer, they can help you FIND a source that CAN help you find an answer!

First, I don't know quite what the best advice in this situation is (on this site, we are note supposed to give definitive medical advice). I'd suggest that you perhaps you get some good photos (getting as close as you can without disturbing any of the the family unit). Do you have a vet for a pet you already own? Could you take the pictures in to see this vet, along with your descriptions? (Taking the kitten itself would be VERY difficult without upsetting mom/family/kitten, etc. - and possibly aggravating the kitten further))

She does sound like she could possibly have a bad round of worms, but it sounds like it could be several things (if her belly is round and hard to the touch, even sensitive to the touch, it sounds like she's uncomfortable and I would want a baby that uncomfortable to see a vet). I wouldn't be comfortable saying what it sounds like it is, just going off the description (Even though you want to fix her, I'm sure you understand! :()

Do you have a traveling (or 'mobile" vet in the area? Some do, particularly in your part of the US), and they're MUCH more knowledgeable and the diseases, etc.they often carry, plus the diseases and parasites that are prevalent in that part of the country. And they often are very understandable about money being an issue, and are willing to talk with someone re: the money and crisis that arise when "insta=family" shows up!!!!

Hopefully someone from Florida will offer specific advice!!!!

Keep us posted on your little brood! Think of you!
Hey there! Thank you for responding - I've been in quite a panic.
They're actually living with me already, in my bathroom. The mom always leaves them in the same spot, but it's a dangerous place for baby kits. We've taken in several of her litters and adopted them out. But no one will take this litter because of her disposition.
I have a regular vet, and I'm making an appointment for her; however, the vet thinks she might have just been going feral since she had non people interaction until the day my dad brought them in. (They're a little over two months).
Her sister and brother are the sweetest and calmest kitties - she's the spitfire. I was going to "examine" her - gloved of course - and see what notes to make for the vet. Today she let me pet her etc for a few minutes no trouble, but only those few minutes, alas.