Stray Kitten And The Litter Box

kron708

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently found a stray kitten, extremely skinny and eyes shut because of gunk. Took her to a shelter and they cleaned her up, got her a deworming shot, medicine for her eyes and antibiotics. She's about a month old.

I've had her about 3 days and she's already eating alot, and just started drinking, on her own. Problem is she just uses the bathroom where she's laying

I've tried to place her in the litter, but she doesn't even sMell at it usually. Just walks right out of it. Tried putting some dirt, she smelled it a bit but still didn't use it.

Could her recovering eyes be the problem right now as she's probably having trouble seeing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kron708

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

20180728_062447.jpg

The one with the gunk on her face is when I first found her

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... sweet baby. :catlove: She's so lucky you found her. :petcat:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is extremely malnourished and weak. She also looks older than a month, just way too small and skinny. I honestly think she is too weak/stressed to go by herself. Small kittens usually are stimulated by mama to go to the bathroom. Get a warm wet washcloth and rub it in circles on her behind and see if it makes her go, she may need some help for a while. Continue to put her in the litter box to give her the idea. The dirt is most likely what she is used to, see if you can bury a little of her stool or sprinkle some over the spot where she pees next time and then scoop it back into the box so she can smell it. As congested as she is she might have trouble smelling. Cats instinctively use one, so she should be fine as soon as she gets some strength and knows she is safe. I would lay her on some puppy pee pads for now, the little sweetheart needs warmth, food and you to make her feel safe and loved.
She was very near death. You literally saved her life. you have a good heart and will be blessed for taking care of her, I'll pray for you both.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding her kitten food? She needs unlimited access to dry food and small meals of wet food throughout the day. Giving her a dish of kmr to drink (powdered by PetAg is best) would also help. You could also ask the vet about nutrical paste. Poor thing really needs help getting nutrition.

Thank you for rescuing her.

What did the vet give you for her eyes?

kron708

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Erythromycin for the eyes. Also on Famciclovir? and Clavamox

kron708

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I woke up to my gf telling me that she used the litter this morning. I'm a little worried about one of her eyes. Seems puffer than the other but definitely in better shape then when we found her.

It's only been 3-4 days so I might just be expectin an overnight healing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, on using the litter, she must be feeling a little better! Is she still receiving eye ointment or drops? You might lay a warm wet rag on her puffy eye to help it feel better. she came real close to losing her eyes. Just gently wipe her face and eyes with a clean wet cloth. The antibiotics take about three days to kick in, she should be feeling better. Make sure she gets all she wants to eat, the poor little girl has to make up for lost time!