Stray Foster

*Crystal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background:
So I've been fostering a male stray, renamed Cane as of recent (as in Hurricane), who is a tuxedo coat and this is my fourth day coming off of third night. I was the one who initially found and trapped him but then he was transferred to a woman I've been working with who is part of a TNR group. She kept him for about four days, but had no time to work with him as she keeps the ferals in a separate area of the house away from everyone else. Neither of us felt right about just releasing him back with the others as he was so isolated from the colony and didn't seem to get much food. So I volunteered to foster him. This is my first foster and my parents were hesitant. He is in my bedroom with a standalone wardrobe he has been sitting on but as of last night he somehow found a way to get under my bed (but not the box spring). I have another cat in the house and a dog, so I have to keep him here. I also have empty shelves and a small basement window to sit on.

Problem:
First night, moved around a bit but not much. No meowing and quiet.
Second night-his name. Hurricane Harvey apparently decided to hit my room, water and litter covering the floor, meowing ALL night, things knocked over that I thought would be fine, scared kitty all around. : (
Third night: A brat?? Wasn't scared but instead purposely knocked over some stuff but won't accept attention or being near us at all. Tried playing with him with laser pointer and string toy, but he will not engage. He possibly wants to go outside, but I obviously can't do that. I have a lavender diffuser in the room, a fan, and I've been singing to him. "Calming music for cats" doesn't work. And he won't come out for food unless right in front of him in a discreet hiding spot and doesn't engage with treats. My cat (a female hunting Calico), according to my dad and sister seems to be stressed by the foster cat's being here.

Question:
What can I do? Or am I on the right track and just need to be patient? What am I doing wrong? Is he possibly just too far in being a wild feral stray? Is he able to be rehabilitated? Would it do good for him to see a happy domesticated cat also living in the home? I love him and I just want him to be happy. : (

-A tired and concerned cat fosterer

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C *Crystal

You need to use a Feliway plug-in diffuser instead of lavendar oil. The Feliway diffuser gives off calming pheromones that affect cats far differently than essential oils for humans.

He sounds scared to death. He is not being a brat. He has no clue where he is or what is happening and cannot relax enough to play or be calm right now.

If he is a stray feral cat it can take months to socialize him.

Here are a few helpful links:

https://thecatsite.com/ams/should-you-try-and-tame-a-feral-cat.33850/

Handling Feral Cats

10 Facts You Should Know About Feral Cats

You'll need to be in this for the long haul, so stay patient!

Otherwise, do you know of an area no-kill rescue that might take him in?

Thank you for caring! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

*Crystal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No on the shelter and not with a stray. I was told he needs to be in proximity of people and he wouldn't be at a rescue/shelter. He'd be in a cage? Right now he is restricted to my room though, is that... Is that right for him? But I can't really keep him for the long haul sadly. I would if I had my own place, but my parents want to take in a kitten soon for my cat to train as she's getting older.

I'm also concerned because, when I met him out on street and the first day and first two nights, he was meowing normally (?) and then yesterday he has started growl meowing. I'm not sure if I did something wrong to trigger this? : ( And then the meowing (any) is specifically for me, anyone else enters the room then he will stop. Maybe it's because he's actually more comfortable with me to meow at all? I wonder if he's upset because I'm out for work so often so I haven't had a lot of alone time with him outside of an hour or two at night before bed and then in the morning kind of.

I had seen a Feliway on Petco when looking for options but wasn't sure if it would help specifically for him in his case so thank you! And lavender for cats had been suggested on another site for calming cats so that's why I tried it, but I was thinking "really?" Because of the obvious difference between cats and humans. D x

Anything to help my(not the foster) cat?

Thank you for your assistance! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
C *Crystal meowing isn't something a true feral will do, so there is a good chance to settle him. It just takes a long time.
Spending time with him is good. Even if you just sit in his room and do things you have to do.. work on your computer, read, whatever.. just being there with him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? Would your parents consider keeping him instead of getting a new kitten? I used a gate between my two feral cats, so they could see each other and play, and eat on opposite sides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

*Crystal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**I don't know if I should attempt introduction with Harvey(stray) with my other two cats especially when the other two cats aren't even fully introduced to each other yet as we just brought in Amber on Saturday and it is Tuesday now.

I have no idea how old. I never received vet papers for him from the woman I was working with. We only have one gate which is used for the (VERY hyperactive) dog and I've been trying to spend time but problem is that I am out quite a bit for work so besides sleeping and staying up with him an hour before, he doesn't get a lot of social time. I also can't sit or stay in one place for too long because of personal mental health related issues. I'm also concerned that my tics from my Tourettes syndrome is scaring him as I make loud random "squeeks" and sometimes bang my head backwards against my wall. I have considered keeping him mainly because my mother has actually been suggesting it and is fine with three cats as long as I pay for Harvey. However, we don't really have a lot of room and my father still 'needed' the kitten (explained next). My father also is not partial to Harvey.

My father specifically requested the kitten and she NEEDED to be a calico because "they are the best at hunting/the only good hunters". I tried to explain to him that we weren't really ready for another cat until I could house Harvey and that the calico thing was "bull". He wanted her before my resident cat (Abigail) is too old and unable to teach another cat hunting as Abigail currently looks like she is slowing down and has seemed to be having more trouble recently in jumping down outside and back inside. Anyway, we now have 6 month old Amber who has completely imprinted on me in one room (the "litter box room") which I'd honestly like her out of because of what it is, Abigail (resident cat) in my sister's room, and Harvey in my room... In the box spring.

Abigail as expected and normal, has hissed at Amber. I introduced Amber to my room and Harvey actually came out because he was curious in her but got hissed at by her. He was so freaked out that he wouldn't come out for the next day and pooped in my box spring-totally my fault though. I figured a six month kitten from a shelter with tons of other cats and Harvey from a colony of cats would get along. It was stupid of me.
However-when I had to move everything to clean my box spring (thank you Jackson Galaxy cleaner btw), Harvey obviously had to come out. He stayed for a while "hiding" in an open spot, I moved slowly, spoke to him, gave him treats and Gerber baby food (which he was too scared to touch either which I totally understand), and simply held my hand out away from him to smell (but keeping safe distance so not to intrude his "safe space" and not petting him). He seems a little more.. interested(?) in me after this episode, like he trusts me just a little bit more.

**I don't know if I should attempt introduction with him with the other two especially when the other two aren't even fully introduced to each other yet.

Last edited:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i sure wish people would read my thread n at least try my method,
it is clear to me that lieing flat on the ground will calm this animal n
let him learn to love you.it works with all wild animals.
no animal fears you when you are flat on the ground.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you sure have a lot going on with 3 cats and a dog. Did your Dad get Amber after you got Harvey? I was a little confused. Does your Dad want a cat that hunts mice and rodents? Feral cats are actually excellent hunters.

chrizztopher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background:
So I've been fostering a male stray, renamed Cane as of recent (as in Hurricane), who is a tuxedo coat and this is my fourth day coming off of third night. I was the one who initially found and trapped him but then he was transferred to a woman I've been working with who is part of a TNR group. She kept him for about four days, but had no time to work with him as she keeps the ferals in a separate area of the house away from everyone else. Neither of us felt right about just releasing him back with the others as he was so isolated from the colony and didn't seem to get much food. So I volunteered to foster him. This is my first foster and my parents were hesitant. He is in my bedroom with a standalone wardrobe he has been sitting on but as of last night he somehow found a way to get under my bed (but not the box spring). I have another cat in the house and a dog, so I have to keep him here. I also have empty shelves and a small basement window to sit on.

Problem:
First night, moved around a bit but not much. No meowing and quiet.
Second night-his name. Hurricane Harvey apparently decided to hit my room, water and litter covering the floor, meowing ALL night, things knocked over that I thought would be fine, scared kitty all around. : (
Third night: A brat?? Wasn't scared but instead purposely knocked over some stuff but won't accept attention or being near us at all. Tried playing with him with laser pointer and string toy, but he will not engage. He possibly wants to go outside, but I obviously can't do that. I have a lavender diffuser in the room, a fan, and I've been singing to him. "Calming music for cats" doesn't work. And he won't come out for food unless right in front of him in a discreet hiding spot and doesn't engage with treats. My cat (a female hunting Calico), according to my dad and sister seems to be stressed by the foster cat's being here.

Question:
What can I do? Or am I on the right track and just need to be patient? What am I doing wrong? Is he possibly just too far in being a wild feral stray? Is he able to be rehabilitated? Would it do good for him to see a happy domesticated cat also living in the home? I love him and I just want him to be happy. : (

-A tired and concerned cat fosterer
I feel you my stray cat keeps eating everything she sees and keeps meowing all night even when you pet her she meows. IM sooo tired

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you tell us a little more about her? Has she had a vet visit yet?