Stray/feral Mother Cat & Kittens

Casper1771

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
So I am new to this site and looking for some advice. There is a mother cat and 5 kittens living in the bush next to my property. The mother leaves the kittens all day until around 5pm, then comes back I'm guessing to feed her babies. The kittens are around 4 weeks old nd are eating dry food. Only reason I know this is because today for the first time I threw some food at them and they appear to be starving and picking up every last bit. The will NOT come any where near humans hince why I had to throw the food. I trapped one in a corner and he/she did not like that.. I picked it up and it screamed bloody murder and clamped down on my hand. No worries though, the bite was not deep and they do not appear diseased. I've been watching them for a little over a week. My question is should I just leave them alone? As soon as humans come around they hiss, run, and now I know they also bite. Its pretty hot in PA, I just don't want them dying out there... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know much about cats but I have been reading about ferals for a week.

4 week old ferals can be tamed.

What I can tell from what I have read is that you should crouch, extend your hand to place food in between you and the kittens. If they dont come, go a bit back. When they come, start placing food nearer to you. When they are near you, dont touch them. They will aproach you. Speak slowly when they are near to make them comfortable with your sound. They will eventually come to you.
But please wear hand gloves, they might bite.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Casper1771 Casper1771 I'm so sorry your question has gone unanswered for so long! How are you going?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you do depends on what you can do and are willing to do. The optimal is if you aim at fostering and adopting (out). if you cant help them best is to leave them - perhaps some feeding. TNR is good if you cant foster / adopt.
Hi everyone,
So I am new to this site and looking for some advice. There is a mother cat and 5 kittens living in the bush next to my property. The mother leaves the kittens all day until around 5pm, then comes back I'm guessing to feed her babies. The kittens are around 4 weeks old nd are eating dry food. Only reason I know this is because today for the first time I threw some food at them and they appear to be starving and picking up every last bit. The will NOT come any where near humans hince why I had to throw the food. I trapped one in a corner and he/she did not like that.. I picked it up and it screamed bloody murder and clamped down on my hand. No worries though, the bite was not deep and they do not appear diseased. I've been watching them for a little over a week. My question is should I just leave them alone? As soon as humans come around they hiss, run, and now I know they also bite. Its pretty hot in PA, I just don't want them dying out there... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks