Stray/feral Kitten

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted on the Pregnant mom and kittens board, but haven't gotten any bites so I'm hoping I may get some more traffic over here.

About a month ago I started feeding a stray cat that was hanging around. I'm fairly certain someone owned her around here and left her when our last big hurricane blew through. She was very skittish at first, I couldn't get near her. But eventually she warmed up to me and I was able to pet her and even pick her up. I noticed her nipples seemed large and sticky, like she had been nursing. And sure enough, when I followed her back to the abandoned house she was living behind, she had two kittens that were about 5 weeks old.

So, fast forward to today - I have brought mama and both kittens into my home. My plan all along was to bring mom in and get her spayed, but I wasn't expecting to have three more cats living here! The first kitten was captured first, as he was eating solids when I would feed mom and I wanted to try and get anyone I could in before it got too cold. He stayed inside with me about a week before I was able to get the other in, and then mom. They are all reunited, and seem to be doing well.

I will need to find homes for at least two of these cats, because I already have 2 of my own kitties, and a big dog. The problem is that the second kitten is extremely skittish. She is essentially feral, and I can't get near her without her hissing or trying to run away. The one that was with me for a week is very well adjusted and will have no problem settling into a home, but I'm worried about number 2. I'd love some advice on how to socialize her to better maximize her chances of adoption. She's still young, about 6-7 weeks old, so I feel like I have time. I just don't know what to do! TIA!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you scan the forum people with a lot more experience in this than I do have some excellent ideas. Based on my experience and research trying to "tame" the other little guy down is going to require lots of time and patience but at that age I think it could be done using help from the forum experts.

Or you could try to:

Use your circle of friends to get the tame one adopted. It's my view it's always better to keep litter mates together but not usually possible. Many people don't realize with two you have a built in playmate to occupy each other when you can't. I believe age also plays a part in that younger cats are easier to find homes for, sad to say.

Find a rescue group who would be willing to foster the little guy. Contact area vets, humane society, county/shelters or alley cat allies web site to find people or rescues local to you.
The same would be true for homing the little tame one.

Or locate a non-kill shelter and surrender them both.

The fostering would usually mean lots of love, training, etc.

The non-kill shelter might mean many weeks/months of caged life until/if they are adopted. Nothing against these shelters but they are usually run by a few hard working,over worked, under funded, and extremely dedicated people trying to rescue as many rejected cats and dogs as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!

I am happy to foster and keep them here with me instead of sending them off to the shelter. That is not a situation I want for these kitties at all (nothing against those who may be involved in a shelter like this - I just don't feel it's ideal).

I don't mind being patient while she adjusts, I just feel bad for the sweet little thing! I've fostered critters in the past, but this is my first time with a kitten as scared as she is. I would love for them to stay together, but I'm not sure how plausible that outcome is. We shall see. They will have a place here until the right fit comes along for them. :) I'm in no real rush, I just don't know that I could expend my energy to everyone forever. I also have my parents 2 cats living with me temporarily while they get their home fixed after Irma. 7 cats, a dog and my 3 year old! :lol: I'm surrounded!

I will set aside some time later today to look around more and read some of the advice that has already been posted, thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Logicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Shadowrescue, those videos were very helpful!