Stray Cats And Zoonosis.

Sora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello TCS.
I'm currently socializing a kitten that I would label as semi feral, it's like 8 - 10 weeks old, already weaned, you can come to it and if it runs away momma won't hiss nor do anything about it.
She lets me pet her only when she is about to fall asleep. I pet her, she opens her eyes and I put my hand away and let her see it, then she closes her eyes back and lets me pet her. But when she is playing with the other kittens or alone, if I get close to her she runs away.

Update (I left this thread half finished): I can already approach the kitten, and pet her and she won't run away.

The point is, recently after rescuing the two cats I own, I got a feeling of wanting to keep going. Rescuing cats becomes an addiction, and you just don't forgive yourself if you skip a stray. After rescuing them, I always carry with me a canteen with cat's food (Dry, wet food would go rancid in such a long period of time, and there's no guarantee of finding a stray) in case I find a stray.
But I also like to pet them, no matter how oily or dirty they look. Because it's just a matter of washing your hands. I want to make them feel safe.
Sadly my mom doesn't allows me to foster cats (Not even one) in the empty room we have in the house... she says that I'm bringing diseases and fleas to the house... (You know, fleas are going to leave the cat and wander the house... and mites are going to leave the cat too... and ringworm will turn into worm and wander in the house. Nice logic). However I do what I can by feeding them.

ACTUAL POINT OF THE THREAD (I KNOW, I LIKE TO GIVE A LOT OF PREAMBLE):

How likely are you to get certain zoonosis from a cat? A.K.A:
Fleas, ringworm, scabies, rabies, and any other zoonosis. I just like to pet stray cats and feed them, but I want to be aware of the risk I'm taking.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Most parasites are species specific, such as lice and mites (scabies). Fleas could jump on your clothes and you could carry them home but I would just keep your cats up to date on flea meds. Most viral infections cats you are unable to contract, as they are pretty species specific as well.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure you wash your hands and take off shoes outside before going into the house to your other kitties.

Keep your home clean as possible, this will help reduce any unwanted pests too

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ringworm and scabies are easy enough to spot. U can contract ringworm quite easily from them if u don’t wash your hands but it’s also very easy to treat yourself and the kitties if they have it. I have cared for lots of kittens with ringworm and have had no problem. If u live in a high rabies area get them vaccinated, but it’s unlikely that they probably have rabies anyway. I apparently live in a high rabies area (Saudi) and I have seen 1 kitten in 4 years with rabies. I touch and help any stray I can and have never caught any disease/infection from them. If you can keep them in a spare room just research how to clean the room properly and everything should be ok. And if u can neuter neuter neuter as many as u can! Maybe there’s a charity where u live who does this for free/cheaper then vet clinics.