Stray Cat: Needing Advice And Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PathfinderKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much! I will keep everything you’ve said in mind. It’s been making me feel so much better since the vet scared me so badly. I have a few questions.

Is there anyway I can better help her immune system stay strong in case the disease progresses?
Should I consider declawing her just in case? Typically I don’t approve but I want the best life for all parties. Since she’s not aggressive, although threw a fit last night, I might be just frazzled.
Are there any other recommendations you might have for me?

I’m looking at the website that was linked and appreciate the comments. I’ve found a lot of websites testifying with hundreds of people with FIV cats. Hopefully things are looking up!

PS: She didn’t have mange. Just hair loss from malnutrition and maybe the FIV? The vet said it should clear up in a few weeks after proper care.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, definitely don't de-claw.

My mom has a cat that tested positive for FIV in 2010. Since then. . .well, nothing. She hasn't had any problems and neither have the other cats. Maybe it'll cause trouble when she gets to be elderly, idk. But it's definitely not a death sentence.

FeLV is much more serious. Most FeLV+ cats don't live more than a couple years after diagnosis, and it's more contagious too.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I'd add is to feed a good diet, high in animal protein to keep her immune system as strong as possible. I wouldn't recommend declawing; FIV is passed along through deep bites, not through scratches.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, she’s a doll! Look into those eyes...she has that “eat your heart out guys, I’m home now”! Sounds like things are off to a great start. As I’ve often said you may not have needed her but she obviously needed you!

Great job. Keep all posted please

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, please don't declaw. As the others said, FIV is spread from deep bites, not scratches. Plus declawed cats are more likely to bite. If you spay her, the odds of fighting go down even more. I don't think the FIV vaccine is very good and the cats will test positive the rest of their lives for FIV, even if they don't have it.