Stray cat looks away with her ears facing me meaning?

Paro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm Paro. I've been feeding this stray cat for a bit, and today after she ate, she came up to me while I was looking at her with her tail raised kinda straight up and just looked at me with her eyes wide open and meowing, I didn't know what's up so I just kept staring. Then after a minute she started looking around and then sat down with her tail kinda tucked and body raised and looked at me again and then around with her ears facing me, when I tried to get in my house she looked at me again. So I closed the door and waited a second, after opening it again she was gone. Did she wanna play? Did she want more food? I looked at body cat language and apparently it means she was attentive. But what does looking away with ears facing me mean? Ears were like sideways and straight up. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm Paro. I've been feeding this stray cat for a bit, and today after she ate, she came up to me while I was looking at her with her tail raised kinda straight up and just looked at me with her eyes wide open and meowing, I didn't know what's up so I just kept staring. Then after a minute she started looking around and then sat down with her tail kinda tucked and body raised and looked at me again and then around with her ears facing me, when I tried to get in my house she looked at me again. So I closed the door and waited a second, after opening it again she was gone. Did she wanna play? Did she want more food? I looked at body cat language and apparently it means she was attentive. But what does looking away with ears facing me mean? Ears were like sideways and straight up. Thank you in advance!

The straight up tail is a very good sign, I definitely think she wanted your attention and in general was interested in what you are going to. She payed attention to you while also observing her environment. Were you able to pet her yet? From what it sounds like, she likes you and may be ready to receive some soon. I recommend crouching down next time when she does something similar again to see if she will come to you. Don't rush anything but just let her come up to you and if she's ready, she might rub her head against you and you can try careful and slowly to pet her. For me everything sounds like you won her trust and affection 🥰

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The straight up tail is a very good sign, I definitely think she wanted your attention and in general was interested in what you are going to. She payed attention to you while also observing her environment. Were you able to pet her yet? From what it sounds like, she likes you and may be ready to receive some soon. I recommend crouching down next time when she does something similar again to see if she will come to you. Don't rush anything but just let her come up to you and if she's ready, she might rub her head against you and you can try careful and slowly to pet her. For me everything sounds like you won her trust and affection 🥰

I am so happy she likes me :>
She's already rubbed her head against my leg before, she gets excited whenever she sees me. Sometimes she's just napping minding her own business, and when I come by looking at her she opens her eyes to see who's approaching, and when she sees me she just keeps looking and I keep looking as well till she jumps and runs to me tail straight up and meowing next to my leg, almost always lowering her mouth to my feet and rubbing against me or against walls near me. But, I just want to say that I'm a very anxious person when it comes to germs and mites and such. I avoid petting her even though I want to so much. What do you suggest? Would it be ok to pet? Thank you for your reply! :)

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy she likes me :>
She's already rubbed her head against my leg before, she gets excited whenever she sees me. Sometimes she's just napping minding her own business, and when I come by looking at her she opens her eyes to see who's approaching, and when she sees me she just keeps looking and I keep looking as well till she jumps and runs to me tail straight up and meowing next to my leg, almost always lowering her mouth to my feet and rubbing against me or against walls near me. But, I just want to say that I'm a very anxious person when it comes to germs and mites and such. I avoid petting her even though I want to so much. What do you suggest? Would it be ok to pet? Thank you for your reply! :)
Sounds like she definitely is ready for getting pets from you, she feels safe around you and is affectionate! Does she seem healthy to you?

I do think its safe to pet her but wash your hands afterwards and if you're too worried you can also disinfect them too, especially if you have own cats yourself.

Have you considered adopting her? She definitely formed a bond with you and you would save her from a short life on the streets. Sadly most stray cats have ear mites, fleas or worms, but all those are something treatable. Both my cats weren't strays but outdoor kittens before we got them and had all those things, however after treatment and as we keep them indoors, we never had issues again

Paro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I know if she's healthy? Her eyes are a bit dirty though. I would adopt her but I don't think my mom would be too happy about that.. She hates cats. Plus she was pregnant when I found her a couple month back and I think she gave birth a week ago or smth. She has a cute kitten. Not orange like her though lol, got it from the dad I assume lol.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I know if she's healthy? Her eyes are a bit dirty though. I would adopt her but I don't think my mom would be too happy about that.. She hates cats. Plus she was pregnant when I found her a couple month back and I think she gave birth a week ago or smth. She has a cute kitten. Not orange like her though lol, got it from the dad I assume lol.

Hmm sounds like she may have an eye infection, but that could be treated as well, how is she looking besides that? Does she seem very skinny? How is her fur, does it look like she keeps it clean? A tangled unclean fur can be a sign for sickness

I would ask your mom still and if she says no to general adoption, maybe she would be fine with fostering her and her baby until you guys found a loving home for them. It's always worth a shot! However do be aware getting her fixed plus all the treatment can be a bit pricey depending on where you live.

So if you already work or not you may could offer to pay it yourself, however if you are still in school then this will be an unlikely chance that your mother will say yes as she would have to cover all the costs.

Another option would be getting in touch with a cat rescue as they could get both and find a foster or permanent home for them 🤔

Paro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think her fur is good, I saw her licking herself clean after she ate today, so I assume she cleans regularly.
I'm still in school yeah, plus don't work, I'll try with my mom and see where we get.
And I'll see about the fosters. Thank you for all the info and advice! 🥰