Stray Cat Is Very Shy.

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! today I got a Siamese mix. He's very shy, please give me tips on how to make him less shy, Also I'm getting a litter box, some toys, and scratching post in about 5 days if I can get him to be less of a wallflower. Please help!! Hes about 4 months old and lived outside, tips on how to train him to be a housecat are appreciated.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for cats to be shy the first day to even the first few days they're brought home. I'd recommend using a Feliway diffuser (at least for these early days). You can also just spend time in the room with your kitty, hold your hand out to her to sniff, and talk to her in a soft, calm voice. While you're away, you can play soft music over the radio, or even one of those YouTube compilations of music intended to relax cats. I would still highly recommend getting her a scratching post now (and toys too!). Your kitty might be more active at night and when you're out of the room.

Have you set up a safe room to keep your kitty in right now? Cats do best when they're introduced to one room at a time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He likes to be near the window and just be tense. I put the window cover thing on (eep dunno what they are called) and I put he's food there too. He's content but otherwise he's shy.

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I found a feliway diffuser, is this one good?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The plug-in diffuser works (not the spray) best in the room where he spends most of his time.

I would not cover the window. He will enjoy looking outside!

Do you have a litter box in his room now?

He needs time to adjust, but should make a great pet!

Do you have plans to see the vet? He'll need de-worming and neutering. :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your first step needs to be a visit to the vet. He will need vaccines, tests and of course neutering. It is best to get this out of the way first.
Feliway plugs ins work better and longer than the spray. Make sure his room is cat proofed. You don't want him hiding under the bed or under or behind large furniture where you cannot reach him.
A litter box is a must. Most cats adapt very quickly to it. You can sprinkle some soil in the box if he is used to going outside.
Please keep him inside only especially since he is not neutered yet. If you allow him to be outside he may wander and start to spray. Getting him neutered now is a must.

Here is an article on working with shy cats that might help you.
Socializing Cats: How to Socialize a Very Shy or Fearful Cat

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because of my moms "expertise" she took the cat outside (which I specifically told her NOT to do, but of course, listen to the person with outdated cat knowledge, and not the one who actually did research) and it ran away, vanished, and by the time my mom found her keys, I couldn't see the cat. I honestly don't know if it was on accident either, because she told my sister yesterday that she would put it outside so it can run away, and my sister just laughed. Is there any true cat lovers left in the world?!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( :alright:

Sorry to hear that. Put some food outside and watch for him. He's only 4 months old. He probably didn't go very far.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How very sad. I feel very badly for this sweet kitty. Your best bet would be to try to trap the kitty and see if there is a no kill shelter that can find him a home. I do not believe it is a good idea for you to keep him if your Mom and sister are not supportive. I am very sorry this has happened to you.

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:/ he went toward a different neighborhood, and it's one of those nice ones, so hopefully someone took him in and adopted him (he had no collar or anything) but as a way of saying sorry my mom said we could get a different cat from the same litter (They were free, the people who gave us a cat just feeded them). Hopefully now she will listen to me, and I'm definitely gonna make sure not to mess up this time, so get ready for a LOT of questions. However, my first question is the type of food my cat will eat. I heard by-meat or by-products are bad for cats and dogs so I've tried to find one that doesn't have them. I took a pic of the one i got.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry, but I find this to be very irresponsible. You take in a kitten, who gets outside and you do nothing to try to find or help this cat. Yet instead you are now looking for another one???? I feel extremely sad for the poor kitten your mother let out. He is now out on his own. Who will care for him? You mentioned he is very shy, so how would someone else be able to help him.

The very first step in getting a kitten, is vet care. The cat needs to be tested for deadly cat diseases as well as up to date vaccines. Also a spay/neuter is an absolute must. If you are not willing to get the cat spayed/neutered then you should not be having any cats. The world is full of unwanted cats/kittens where irresponsible owners did not spay/neuter their cats. When the cats become unruly (and they will when they are not spayed/neutered) these owners set the cats free to roam. Thus more and more and more and more unwanted cats fill this planet.

If you are going to take in another kitten, you need to be a responsible owner and be sure the cat is well cared for which includes vet visits. If this is not in your budget then sadly you must consider that a cat not be a part of your life right now.

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry, but I find this to be very irresponsible. You take in a kitten, who gets outside and you do nothing to try to find or help this cat. Yet instead you are now looking for another one???? I feel extremely sad for the poor kitten your mother let out. He is now out on his own. Who will care for him? You mentioned he is very shy, so how would someone else be able to help him.

The very first step in getting a kitten, is vet care. The cat needs to be tested for deadly cat diseases as well as up to date vaccines. Also a spay/neuter is an absolute must. If you are not willing to get the cat spayed/neutered then you should not be having any cats. The world is full of unwanted cats/kittens where irresponsible owners did not spay/neuter their cats. When the cats become unruly (and they will when they are not spayed/neutered) these owners set the cats free to roam. Thus more and more and more and more unwanted cats fill this planet.

If you are going to take in another kitten, you need to be a responsible owner and be sure the cat is well cared for which includes vet visits. If this is not in your budget then sadly you must consider that a cat not be a part of your life right now.
I'm sorry, I honestly do not think I'm ready to get a cat after what you said, I'll tell my mom that I don't want a cat, and perhaps start with something smaller and low maintenance, maybe even a thing that's not even alive. Thanks so much for actually being reasonable and not trying to sugarcoat anything :) I'll continue to search for the cat that ran away, and if I do find him the best possible thing to do (I think) is to take him with his mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you find the kitten, please take care of it yourself in your home. It will need to see the vet as mentioned above.

I feel more like it was your mom who acted irresponsibly by deliberately letting the kitten out. I know that upset you.

Please have a talk with your mom about what your family is prepared to commit to the care of a kitten.

Yes, Fancy Feast is good food, as is kitten chow. A kitten would need both.

I hope you find the kitten!

AmyFede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks. I'll try to find him.