Stray Cat Has Adopted Me ; Need Advice

lemonduck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was walking my puppy yesterday when a very sweet kitty really took a liking to me and the puppy. Lots of rubbing and showing belly for affection. She wouldn't leave my side. She followed me straight up to the third floor, and was about to walk right into my apartment. She has since stayed right outside my door (on the third floor) and I put out a box with a towel and she seems content with this for now.

I took in a kitten last winter, there is a serious problem at our complex with people abandoning cats. I have a very strong feeling this is what has happened to her. She looked very clean, no fur mats, clear eyes no discharge, clear voice, no noticeable ticks or fleas. Her paws barely looked dirty. Someone did move out recently across the complex and here she is suddenly... so putting two and two together sadly :/...My current cat though is a male, he is neutered, and although he is very friendly with other cats, I absolutely wouldn't introduce a random cat that hasn't been to a vet into the household. I also do not have a spare bedroom of any sort to hold her in for a while....

My puppy has been here less than a week, and has all her current vaccinations. She is a bit too young to be spayed. (Keeping in mind I just payed for all of her vaccinations and the cost of adopting her... lots of expenses recently... or else I really would't mind vetting this new cat....)

With all that being said, I live in an extremely small apartment. Three animals would make it quite the zoo. I have been contacting animal rescues all morning and contacting friends and everyone is booked or not accepting new animals.

I am really at a loss. Before I put out the box, she was walking up and down the stairs meowing very sadly and loudly all night. The temprature is around 40 degrees, and the teenagers that wander around the aparment do worry me with small animals. I have reported them to the police for kicking a dog once, and I shudder to think of what may happen if they wanted to take their anger out on a poor stray fur baby.

I apologize for the extremely long post, if you have taken the time to read all of this I truly thank you, this is a heartbreaking situation that has just suddenly happened upon me and any advice would be extremely appreciated

*Edit* I did forget to mention that my boyfriend and I live together. If I was single I would be taking her to the vet this morning and making her a new family member or potential foster. With him here though, he is already stressed out by the puppy and current cat, and I have really pushed the limits with pestering him about this new fur baby.... I respect his wishes to not create a zoo, and I understand this is something I didn't even ask for really, but this kitty has chosen us and I am trying so hard to exhaust my options on calling the no kill shelters in my area... So far no luck :(

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please find a no kill shelter for this sweet kitty. Since she is so friendly she should be fairly easy to find a home. Call rescue groups, humane socieites, ASPCA and be sure they are no kill.

Thank you for wanting to help her.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please find a no kill shelter for this sweet kitty. Since she is so friendly she should be fairly easy to find a home. Call rescue groups, humane socieites, ASPCA and be sure they are no kill.

Thank you for wanting to help her.
^^^^this^^^^^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemonduck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both very dearly for the responses, I will see how far I can drive out today, there is an option for a no-kill shelter about 40 minutes away. I will test her temprament with being in a carrier, although I am sure she will be fine. Who knows, maybe I can convince the boyfriend to make room for one last fur baby lol.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing! You're very likely right in what happened to her - - she obviously was someone's indoor kitten and now has no idea why she's alone and outside. It's heartbreaking - and I too would be going crazy with worry (especially with the teens you've got in the complex). But I also understand everyone has their limits - be they monetary, space, spouse etc. And agreed that you shouldn't expose your guys to the little one w/o a vet check first. How wonderful of you to try to get her into a no-kill shelter. Hopefully you can find one quickly to take her! If you do find a no-kill that can take her but needs a day or too to get her in ---is the bathroom an (extremely) short term option until you can get her in somewhere? Obviously not ideal for the little one - - or everyone else in the apartment - - but it would at least get her into safety and warmth for overnight or a day or so (no judgement if you can't). Or perhaps a friend could take her for a day or so till you find a place? Good luck and keep us posted!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I adopted my Ruby, I asked the shelter if they had any history on her, and all they knew was that a woman brought her in after seeing some kids kicking her. It still breaks my heart when I think of my poor sweet girl out there on the street alone and being mistreated by people she probably went up to looking for help.

So thank you so much for caring about this sweet fur baby. Whether you decide to keep her, or find a no kill shelter for her, you are her guardian angel.:catrub:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the poor kitty doing? Could you perhaps bring her inside temporarily while you sort things out? These things do have a way of working out. :)

Are you feeding her? Is she eating well? Can you tell her age?

We would love to see a picture of her!

Thank you for caring! :catrub:

lemonduck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I apologize for the horrible photos, she was a fast mover, with the cold pavement on her feets. I am all the way up on the third floor and thats where I have set out the food and water bowls ( and now a little box with a towel ). Last night some firetrucks came by and the huge scene seemed to keep her away, I am going to venture out again today to find her. I was hoping I could get back from work in time yesterday to guide her into my dog cage and take her to a spay/neuter clinic and see what her 411 is, but she must have been wandering around the bushes downstairs. I will try again today!

I will keep everyone updated here!! I have never seen a cat drawn to me like a magnet. Never have I seen a cat fly up a set of unfamiliar stairs like she did. She is a very brave girl.

I cannot gauge her age too well, I haven't been able to look at her teeth, but she seemed very very very clean and in good health. With today being Halloween, and her being a partially black cat, I am going to make it an urgent mission to get her off the streets.

Last edited:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring, and your boyfriend is not at all wrong to not want it to be a zoo. Many people don't know their limit and strays like this are created. There's no shame in not being able to handle having another cat in a tiny apartment.

I hope you can find her and drive her to the shelter. I hope that when they see her and her temperament they can't possibly say they're full.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are allowed to have 3 pets in your apartment, she might make a nice playmate for your other cat. I like having two cats to keep each other company. Let us know what happens...

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Kitty has adopted you ! You must be nice ... :catrub:
I would get kitty checked by Dr. and try to find a home for her. ~OR~ ... keep kitty and replace the boyfriend . :blush:'`ฯ

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia That cracked me UP!!!!

It does sound like "she's picked you" (even if it means not taking her in - but to at least help save her life). I speak from experience on "being chosen." We have a "former feral" who 100% picked us (me - and my hubby). We too were "full at the inn" - - with, at the time, 5 indoor kitties (3 were failed fosters), 5 ferals that we'd TNR'd that had adopted us as full-time caretakers (as my hubby notes, probably helped out by the fact that - once trapped and neutered - we now feed them morning and night, with hard food available and soft food morning and night and nightly treats of turkey or chicken, plus heated shelters in our garage since we now leave the garage door up a bit so they have 24/7 access), plus a constant parade of foster cats/kittens for a local no-kill shelter. One little grey feral - now named "Flick" for the little heart-shaped flick of white on her chest - - started following my husband as he gardened. Always about 5 feet away. But always there. She has fairly mild cerebellar hypoplasia, and none of the other ferals in "her group" (several were related to her) wanted anything to do with her. They wouldn't even allow her to eat near them. So she seemed to "adopt" my husband instead as "her colony mate." Eventually letting her eat food from his hand. However, my husband kept saying "we just can't bring in another cat - we're just so full." After Flick survived a very rough winter, still following my husband (even when he shoveled)....I came home one day to a pink cat bed on our back step. Shock - my "we're full at the inn" husband said "she needs somewhere softer to sleep." Needless to say - - Flick's now inside, and the love of our life as the lap cat we've never had (don't tell the other kitties). So I guess my moral is - - -never say never once "you've been chosen." :) Perhaps if your boyfriend spent a little time with the sweetie - he'd feel differently :) But I do understand that everyone has their animal limit.

Even from the "top view" she looks pretty - such a fluffy tail! I'm sure she was intimidated by the commotion outside - - -and the activity of Halloween might have also kept her hidden. She's probably gotten street-smart enough (even if she hasn't been outside all of her life) to keep out of the path of trick-or-treaters. Since that's not exactly the world's quietest holiday :)

A few quick (or quick for me at least) notes: Until you can get her somewhere - another shelter option a step above the cardboard box is the feral kitty home standard lots of us use - - the 'double rubbermaid" box. It keeps them MUCH warmer, dryer, safer, and comfier than just a cardboard box. It's not expensive or difficult to do - and the simplest version only involves two rubbermaid containers, some straw, and a little plastic tubing (if you google - -you'll find all kinds of places showing how to make them). We've made ours - but many shelters and spay/neuter clinics sell them --- often for about $20. Obviously for your kitty - - - since she's not a feral and sounds like she would make a lovely indoor pet - - finding an indoor home (or at least a no-kill shelter) as quickly as possible is by FAR the best!!!!!! Since she's obviously not just craving food and shelter, but love! But that shelter would keep her warm and dry while you work on getting her somewhere more permanent. Some spay/neuter clinics also actually take in a few kitties to put up for adoption - our local one can't house many, but periodically when a sweet one comes in to be spayed/neutered that's been found by someone, and has a lovely temperament, they will take them in and place them up for adoption. Anyway - it's another place to ask!

Plus, as I said before, there's always the bathroom until you can get her somewhere :) Would you have a friend who could at least foster her until you can find a place for her? Maybe if you ply them by offering to provide food/litter?

And as far as getting her into a carrier to get her to a vet to be looked at - - - if you've got a laser pointer, that's our trick we use with our fosters. We often have fosters that are difficult to get into carriers ---but we use a little laser pointer that we get them focussed on playing with - - and we leave the carrier door open - - and then guide them right into the carrier with the laser pointer! Works like a charm!

Keep us posted -- she sounds so sweet - -I hope this has a happy ending :)

lemonduck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia That cracked me UP!!!!

It does sound like "she's picked you" (even if it means not taking her in - but to at least help save her life). I speak from experience on "being chosen." We have a "former feral" who 100% picked us (me - and my hubby). We too were "full at the inn" - - with, at the time, 5 indoor kitties (3 were failed fosters), 5 ferals that we'd TNR'd that had adopted us as full-time caretakers (as my hubby notes, probably helped out by the fact that - once trapped and neutered - we now feed them morning and night, with hard food available and soft food morning and night and nightly treats of turkey or chicken, plus heated shelters in our garage since we now leave the garage door up a bit so they have 24/7 access), plus a constant parade of foster cats/kittens for a local no-kill shelter. One little grey feral - now named "Flick" for the little heart-shaped flick of white on her chest - - started following my husband as he gardened. Always about 5 feet away. But always there. She has fairly mild cerebellar hypoplasia, and none of the other ferals in "her group" (several were related to her) wanted anything to do with her. They wouldn't even allow her to eat near them. So she seemed to "adopt" my husband instead as "her colony mate." Eventually letting her eat food from his hand. However, my husband kept saying "we just can't bring in another cat - we're just so full." After Flick survived a very rough winter, still following my husband (even when he shoveled)....I came home one day to a pink cat bed on our back step. Shock - my "we're full at the inn" husband said "she needs somewhere softer to sleep." Needless to say - - Flick's now inside, and the love of our life as the lap cat we've never had (don't tell the other kitties). So I guess my moral is - - -never say never once "you've been chosen." :) Perhaps if your boyfriend spent a little time with the sweetie - he'd feel differently :) But I do understand that everyone has their animal limit.

Even from the "top view" she looks pretty - such a fluffy tail! I'm sure she was intimidated by the commotion outside - - -and the activity of Halloween might have also kept her hidden. She's probably gotten street-smart enough (even if she hasn't been outside all of her life) to keep out of the path of trick-or-treaters. Since that's not exactly the world's quietest holiday :)

A few quick (or quick for me at least) notes: Until you can get her somewhere - another shelter option a step above the cardboard box is the feral kitty home standard lots of us use - - the 'double rubbermaid" box. It keeps them MUCH warmer, dryer, safer, and comfier than just a cardboard box. It's not expensive or difficult to do - and the simplest version only involves two rubbermaid containers, some straw, and a little plastic tubing (if you google - -you'll find all kinds of places showing how to make them). We've made ours - but many shelters and spay/neuter clinics sell them --- often for about $20. Obviously for your kitty - - - since she's not a feral and sounds like she would make a lovely indoor pet - - finding an indoor home (or at least a no-kill shelter) as quickly as possible is by FAR the best!!!!!! Since she's obviously not just craving food and shelter, but love! But that shelter would keep her warm and dry while you work on getting her somewhere more permanent. Some spay/neuter clinics also actually take in a few kitties to put up for adoption - our local one can't house many, but periodically when a sweet one comes in to be spayed/neutered that's been found by someone, and has a lovely temperament, they will take them in and place them up for adoption. Anyway - it's another place to ask!

Plus, as I said before, there's always the bathroom until you can get her somewhere :) Would you have a friend who could at least foster her until you can find a place for her? Maybe if you ply them by offering to provide food/litter?

And as far as getting her into a carrier to get her to a vet to be looked at - - - if you've got a laser pointer, that's our trick we use with our fosters. We often have fosters that are difficult to get into carriers ---but we use a little laser pointer that we get them focussed on playing with - - and we leave the carrier door open - - and then guide them right into the carrier with the laser pointer! Works like a charm!

Keep us posted -- she sounds so sweet - -I hope this has a happy ending :)
Thank you so much for the heartfelt response and the amazing tips <3 You and your husband have very big hearts! Those are some lucky kitties to come your way. Flick's tale warmed my heart, thank you for sharing :) <3 I feel terrible for not thinking about the cardboard box not being winter efficient, I need to get some better kitty shelters! I will also definitely use a laser pointer with her today.

I apologize for the delayed response yesterday. I went through an emotional roller coaster with my neighbors.

So I get back from work, and I see my neighbor who is also on the third floor with me. She mentions have you seen that black and white kitty? I say yes, and she explains her 3 year old son had been giving her the silent treatment until she brought the cat in. I mean ... I was utterly elated. I was so happy the kitty was taken into a home, a little wary about the age of her kids, but nonetheless, very happy.

So later in the night on my last walk with the puppy.... the kitty comes out of the bushes. Not meowing as usual. She looked heartbroken. Stunned, and in shock. I was just silently in rage. I already feel like I failed her by making her wait a few days to be taken in, but here shes brought into a warm home, and then just placed back outside? I do not blame them for being cautious with a cat around young children, but don't take her in to begin with!! I will watch her behaviors once I can get her inside today to take note of any issues, but I mean this kitty seemed extremely comfortable with human contact. I was checking her teeth and lifting her tail, picking her up, petting her belly, all sorts of love and she was soaking it up. I can't assume anything though on part of my neighbors, there could very well be an issue that has to be addressed... but we will see...

My silent rage was taken note of by my boyfriend, and as I sat down silently for my dinner staring blankly ( very angrily and emotionally, I couldn't help it ) into space, he just sighed and gave his approval for me to just do what needs to be done.

Thank you guys again for all of the responses on this journey, it warms my heart that this forum is so filled with love and understanding <3