Stray Cat Due Soon/not Using Litter Box

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I posted on a different area of the forum about a stray I'm going to be bringing in. She is due to have kittens soon, not sure when.

What all should I use for a nest? She really likes a big blanket I have on my porch for her. I had it in a box but she wasn't interested. When I bring her in the house (we are gathering supplies and cleaning the laundry room for her) she will need more than a blanket on the floor. Especially for the laundry room.

I was wondering, has any one put a cat and her kittens in a playpen? I was thinking about seeing if the thrift store had one I could use. Then her kittens can wiggle but not end up on the floor (would also keep them safe from my 2.5yo daughter).

If anyone has advice for me, please share. I've never had a cat give birth in my care before.

Also need name suggestions. She's super sassy, and loves to rub on my nose (hubby says no to calling her boop)
20180726_143350.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had her kittens! Within days of her coming in. I woke up this morning and there were 2 in with her (I knew something was up, because she greets me as soon as she hears I am up.) So I left her for an hour or so, and she had another one. It's been 3 1/2 hours, do you think she is done? Her belly is soft, and she feels like kind of hollow when I pet by where her ribs end.

She hasn't used the litter box at all, should I be worried about that? I'm sure she's tired. I have water, crunchy food and wet food in there, for whenever she wants. She isn't getting out to eat, but I hold the dish in and she eats.

I also decided to call her Fiona :D

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed her drink any water. I put her in the litter box and she hasn't used it. Is that normal? I know she's tired....just don't want her to get sick.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok can anyone help me? It's been 4 more hours and she still hasn't used the litter box.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing this morning?
I ended up taking her to the vet last night. Her belly swelled up and she was very warm, panting, and her pupils were dilated.

Turns out her stomach had swelled to twice the size from eating too much and she wasn't digesting it fast enough. So the vet said just water over night, and smaller meals for the next few days. She is using the litter box now.

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today Fiona she is breathing fast and and purring. The kittens are all nursing fine. She isn't meowing or acting like anything is wrong. Just breathing fast and purring a lot.

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today mama cat is meowing a lot. She seems annoyed by something, and I can't figure out what. Litter box is clean, she has 2 different water dishes, a bowl of wet food and a bowl of crunchy. Kittens seem content. I do need to wash their bedding, but I doubt that's what's bothering Fiona. She comes to see us when she wants loving....

MeganD15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she inside? It’s posisble that she’s in heat.
She's inside, but it was a different kind of meow. Like she was trying to get my attention. She always ran to the kittens while she did it. She's settled now.