Stray Cat At Home

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat in our society who Is very much comfortable with me. She comes to my house every day and night to sleep. Is it safe? I mean she sleeps on our sofa and one of my neighbour said cats have high amount of risk to pass diseases to human being. Please help. I also saw her eating mouse once in our garden.
Thanks

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have other animals in the house? If you do, it might pose a threat. Do you know if the stray has been vetted, updated on vaccines and is healthy? If the answer is yes, the threat isn't high with other animals in the house.

Otherwise, she's exchanging a pest-free garden for a warm spot on the couch :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Welcome to TCS! Cats are very safe - the biggest risk is for fleas. Also, she can get worms from eating mice - if she licks your dishes, be sure to wash them with hot, soapy water before you eat off them. And if she uses a litterbox and you get catpoop on your hands from cleaning it, be sure to wash your hands before touching your face or eating. There are some diseases that are transferred between cats and humans but cats tend to die from them much easier. That said, it would be nice if you could get her a rabies vaccine - especially if there are many stray dogs in your area because rabies is a danger to everyone!
May your home be blessed for your kindness to the cat :angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have other animals in the house? If you do, it might pose a threat. Do you know if the stray has been vetted, updated on vaccines and is healthy? If the answer is yes, the threat isn't high with other animals in the house.

Otherwise, she's exchanging a pest-free garden for a warm spot on the couch :)
No, i don't have any animal at home. and i have no idea if she's ever been vetted but i think she was abandoned by her owner because she goes to everyone's house in our society but its only me who lets her in and allow her to sleep on my sofa. So you think its safe for me to take her in and out?

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:wave3: Welcome to TCS! Cats are very safe - the biggest risk is for fleas. Also, she can get worms from eating mice - if she licks your dishes, be sure to wash them with hot, soapy water before you eat off them. And if she uses a litterbox and you get catpoop on your hands from cleaning it, be sure to wash your hands before touching your face or eating. There are some diseases that are transferred between cats and humans but cats tend to die from them much easier. That said, it would be nice if you could get her a rabies vaccine - especially if there are many stray dogs in your area because rabies is a danger to everyone!
May your home be blessed for your kindness to the cat :angel:
Thank you for your reply. She has her own bowl which i got for her few weeks back and every alternate day i do wash it with soap and water. She does not do any poop or urine inside my house. she goes out by herself, gets it done and comes back again to sleep. So you think its safe for us to allow her inside our home? we don't have any stray dogs in our society but yes, we have many stray cats here. Vets are really really expensive here so trying to avoid vaccinating her. and also my neighbor says, if you have stray cat at home you have 90% changes to not conceiving, even if you conceive you will have abortion in 3 months of your pregnancy. Is it true???

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme said it well!

I'd think she'd be fine living with you as long as you clean and take care of yourself :) Consider taking her to the vet to make sure she's healthy and vaccinated to help eliminate those worries

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I feel it is safe! She will kill snakes and some spiders as well as mice. If you feed her and cannot find a meat-based cat food, just feed her meat and eggs. Cats are lactose intolerant so they cannot have cow's milk (they get gas and diarrhea, unless it is cream with water, because cream has fat and milk has the lactose. The lower the percentage of fat, the higher the lactose content). Goat milk does not have the high lactose content and is fine for cats and lactose-intolerant people.
It would be different if she was scared because cats scratch with their claws to defend themselves ( just like human children bite and kick and dogs bite).

Last edited:

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat in our society who Is very much comfortable with me. She comes to my house every day and night to sleep. Is it safe? I mean she sleeps on our sofa and one of my neighbour said cats have high amount of risk to pass diseases to human being. Please help. I also saw her eating mouse once in our garden.
Thanks
That's her- i named her billu. I want adopted her but i can't my husband doe snot like cats. So i take care of her when he is at work and let her sleep inside my house just worried about diseases, she might pass on to me.
IMG_4197.JPG

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw the part of not conceiving. Thats not true.
The only concerns is scooping the litter while pregnant, and even then, that's a very small danger.

I have to say, your neighbor isn't very bright when it comes to cats, lol.

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I feel it is safe! She will kill snakes and some spiders as well as mice. If you feed her and cannot find a meat-based cat food, just feed her meat and eggs. Cats are lactose intolerant so they cannot have cow's milk (they get gas and diarrhea, unless it is cream with water, because cream has fat and milk has the lactose. The lower the percentage of fat, the higher the lactose content).
It would be different if she was scared because cats scratch with their claws to defend themselves ( just like human children bite and kick and dogs bite).
Thanks. I got cat food cans for her. i feed her 2 times.

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just saw the part of not conceiving. Thats not true.
The only concerns is scooping the litter while pregnant, and even then, that's a very small danger.

I have to say, your neighbor isn't very bright when it comes to cats, lol.
lol. even i think the same for her. so its okay if i don't get her vaccinated and still let her allow to come and go?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
She can come and go, of course.

If vet cost is a concern, call shelters and see what they can do to help- Depends where you are located, they may do low cost or free. Vaccinations help prevent any illness and diseases- it's a big peace of mind.

Yogita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She can come and go, of course.

If vet cost is a concern, call shelters and see what they can do to help- Depends where you are located, they may do low cost or free. Vaccinations help prevent any illness and diseases- it's a big peace of mind.
Thank you for your replay and guidance. really appreciated :)