Strange large black spots on foster cat's ears

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I'm fostering a very sweet two-year-old cat who recently has polyps removed from her right ear. However, I noticed she has strange black patches both behind her left ear (which wasn't affected by the polyps!) and at the bottom of the inside of her right ear (a much smaller patch). The fur in these spots is also thin. I've attached two pictures before:
missy-left-ear.jpeg

missy-right-ear.jpeg

Anyone know what these could be? They feel really dry and almost scab-like. I've contacted the shelter via both email and phone, but they haven't gotten back to me. :/ The spots weren't mentioned in her foster notes—just the polyps & me needing to give her ear drops to keep her left ear clean (she's on the wait list for total ear canal ablation surgery).

Mostly just concerned because I have a kitten and while they're separated for now, I'll need to introduce them at some point if she's going to be staying with me for a while. Just want to make sure it's not something contagious or dangerous to my own kitten.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but it looks kind of like dermatitis. Is kitty scratching there? It could be that the ears are bothering kitty which would cause some scratching and irritate the skin. Dermatitis does occur. Any previous flea or mosquito bites? That can cause places that look like that. Keep contacting the shelter. Shelters are often really busy places so be persistent in contacting them for info. Thanks for fostering that little beauty!

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say take her to the vet to get checked with a Wood’s lamp for ringworm. My kitty had ringworm and started to lose hair in the exact same areas and the skin turned grey/black and flaky like scabs. Definitely keep her away from the other kitty until diagnosed.