Strange How Emotions Can Come Out At Times

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Today we took my mother in laws 2 cats to the vet, she moved 3 weeks ago to an older folks type home after her husband died late December and this place needed proof that they were seen by a vet so we took them for her, it went better than we expected because her one cat Ivy can get quite nasty at the vet but we did it. But it was the vet that many years ago I took our tuxedo boy Simon to when I got him ironically not far from where she lives now, we haven't gone to that vet in many years but Deb remembered when we went in and said "that's the room that you had Simon in when we first got him" as I remember I just carried him in to the vet, no carrier, said "this is our new cat, can you check him out please?" and they kept us in a little room and they kept him since it was late but I remember calling Deb and telling her about him and she drove over to see him and we remember me sitting on the floor with him and him rubbing against me and giving me love "bites" and me thinking "he's biting me, is this okay?" but he was a great cat, and all of a sudden the emotion of that just hit me and I also thought of my boy Sylvester who looks like him and Sebastian another great boy who passed put together, and I was very emotional for a bit thinking about them all and I said to Deb "I don't know what I'll do when Sylvester passes", but I hope that is way down the line. And I also think that I felt the emotion of us having to take her cats, they always used to do that and her father passing just 2 months ago is still so fresh, but it's amazing how little things can trigger strong emotions when it comes to our babies.....

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do find it remarkable how a seemingly minor event can cause a whole cascade of memories and emotions, some good- others not so much. The passing of a pet is a traumatic, gut-wrenching experience that can leave psychic scars for years-trust me on this. It seems the more we love our pets, the deeper the scars run. The only counter is to remember the good times, the fond memories, the happiness they brought into our lives, and go on from there. Good luck to you, and I wish you well.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It is interesting how something you'd forgotten about can hit you all over again.

I am glad your MIL's cats are okay and I hope she, and you all, will do okay with her new situation. :)