Strange experience at shelter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty passed a couple months ago. I have mixed feelings about taking on another one right away, but have been going down to the shelter just to look at the kitties and gauge how I feel.

This week my travels took me to a different shelter. I got a rather strange vibe from it, but since I usually only go to my city's shelter, I thought I'd ask other forum members.

When I drove in there was a huge sign--one that dominated everything else--that said not to bring any cats or dogs to the shelter as they are overcrowded. OK, that's probably a common status for a shelter, I thought.

But then I got out and headed toward the nearest building which turned out to the office. There was a sign on the door saying "All animals that are dumped at the door will go to animal control." There was also an unleashed dog sleeping on the other side of the door. He was sleeping right there because his pet bed was placed there. When I opened the door he immediately got up and attempted to leave the building.

I finally made it to the cat adoption facility. There was a large group of people, probably volunteers who simply stared at me when I came in. Someone finally asked why I was here, and I told them I just wanted to look at the cats. Then they had someone come up to me. The person wanted me to fill out a form. I explained that I was not ready to adopt yet. She said it was only to find out what I wanted. I really didn't want to give out personal information just to view cats, so I repeated that was not adopting today. She continued to push the form on me. I finally told her wasn't going to fill it out and I that I was leaving due their insistence on the form.

Later on I went to my regular shelter. I looked at the admittance office. They do have a sign up about animal abandonment, and there was a camera, but it didn't come off anywhere near as rude/authoritarian.

What are other people's experiences at their shelter? Do they post huge signs discouraging people from taking pets to the shelter for adoption? Do they require people to fill out forms just to see what pets are available?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We looked at A LOT of kitties before we finally got Cocoa.  I've never experienced anything like that.  Rescues will have you fill out papers in advance, to weed out weirdos I think - but the rescues in my experience, were dealing with you on a far more personal level than shelters.

In general, however, I've been finding that some people who work in this line of work are either so inundated and burnt out that they come off in ways that are not assuring, or they have some kind of clique going where if you weren't recommended by someone they know they kind of ignore you.  Even recently, I offered to help out with a feral colony in my town because a cry for help was put out on Facebook about it.  Not one person got back to me, not even the courtesy of saying they weren't interested.  Mind you, I'm friendly with one of the rescue people who is fairly well known in this circle - so it was particularly annoying that they didn't get back to me. 

Not exactly the same as your experience, but just wanted to let you know that it could be that they get a lot of nuts coming through and wanted to be extra careful or, they were just overwhelmed and it came off as not helpful.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're good to be concerned.  The situation does sound a bit weird.  As for finding a kitty, have you looked on Petfinder?  That's a good way to become familiar with the various rescues and agencies out there.  If you find a kitty from a rescue group, they can tell you about the kitty and how it interacts with others if the animal is in a foster home. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that was def. different to say the least.

Gosh, no wonder they are so overcrowded, they discourage anyone coming in to be rude and confrontational that way :\.....

I have a rescue group, and we really screen our potential adoptors, yes, definitely.

But they are welcome to browse who we have available at anytime, without giving us so much as a first name.

If someone is interested in adopting a certain cat, we chat with them first to find out who would be a good fit for their home.

If someone contacts me from spotting one of my cats on petfinder, and they are interested in adopting them, I email them an app and once approved meet with them.

To me that is the norm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you're good to be concerned.  The situation does sound a bit weird.  As for finding a kitty, have you looked on Petfinder?  That's a good way to become familiar with the various rescues and agencies out there.  If you find a kitty from a rescue group, they can tell you about the kitty and how it interacts with others if the animal is in a foster home. 
Well, I'm not really looking for a kitty to adopt at this point. We want to at least recover financially because of all the medical bills from the last kitty. Then there are a couple things I want to do that will be easier without a pet (like travel). It took me 2 years to find a kitty that I liked the last time, so I don't think it'll be that quick. I may not even adopt, I may foster instead. I'm going to the shelters just to get a kitty fix and gauge how I feel about adopting. Thanks, though, I will keep Petfinder in mind. My friend's mother just got one through Petfinder.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems they are no kill but take the extras who are dumped to the REAL shelter that is open admissions-any and all pets are excepted and any not rehomed/fostered can get euthanized fter state law hold times.  There is a shelter in area I grew up in that was like this.  They tricked alot of people into thinking they were the shelter for that area when they had many rules and regulations. You could NOT view animals unless you filled out and were approved for an adoption.  My Aunt got turned down.  I personally would let her take any of my cats yet she was turned down for shots not being up to date(I even thought years ago the cats got to many in general and now many places are realizing that.  Updated practices at many vets is reviewing what that particular cat really needs)

I think often when you can pick and choose what animals you will adopt knowing your turning some away who may get dumped you get a bit snobby at some point, and I am not talking about a person who rescues and runs it out of her own home or a few fosters.  I personally have only taken one dog from a shelter, actually he was claimed by a "rescue" that was basically a pay to adopt from the high kill.  I was asked nothing more then name addy) but went with few friends and it ranged from Name and addy to 5 pages of application.  Some were checked and others they just glanced and adopted out on spot.  I think focus on the cat for you and do not worry much where that cat is unless they have REAL strange standards.  All are run differently.  Some care alot but are stretched to thin and others are hoarding where your always denied for some little reason.  Preferably get an in the middle place but the most important thing at ed of day is a cat who is a great fit.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[/quote]
What are other people's experiences at their shelter? Do they post huge signs discouraging people from taking pets to the shelter for adoption? Do they require people to fill out forms just to see what pets are available?
No and yes.

My shelter is a open admit shelter; meaning we take in any animals - rescues, strays and owner surrenders. Overcrowding happens sometimes, but when that happens, we hold adoption drives that usually turn out successful. We also have a big foster program, so a lot of animals go out to foster homes to help with overcrowding. We actually encourage people to surrender their pets to us if they feel they are unable to care for their pet anymore.

As for the forms, every first-time visitor needs to fill out forms and given a "pass" that lasts for 6 months. We do this to weed out the shady ones - primarily the ones who want to get an animal for illegal purposes such as dog-fighting. We don't push if someone doesn't want to fill out the forms, but we tell them that they cannot visit with animals until they have a pass. There are a few areas (condos) that are in the open hallway area that you can view without needing a pass, though.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, everyone!

I did a little internet research and found out that this shelter has a reputation of being overprotective and taking a "soup-Nazi" attitude ("No pet for you. . .").

Last edited:

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That would be a bit of a red flag for me.  Just my gut feeling.

We've only recently visited our first cat shelter looking for an addition to our family.  We were only asked to use hand-sanitizer going from room-to-room (adults versus teens) and told we could spend as much time as we wanted with all of them.  Although like many shelters they are understaffed, we felt very welcome & they saw to our every question.  And us to their questions.  We did not fill out any paperwork until we adopted Monty.  And even I suggested that in the future, they ask more questions /screen folks wanting to adopt black cats.    Our older boy is black and we wanted a carbon copy to add to a home full of love.  Some people are not so nice.

No signs regarding drop offs of the like - even though I can totally understand why organizations might do that.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That would be a bit of a red flag for me.  Just my gut feeling.

We've only recently visited our first cat shelter looking for an addition to our family.  We were only asked to use hand-sanitizer going from room-to-room (adults versus teens) and told we could spend as much time as we wanted with all of them.  Although like many shelters they are understaffed, we felt very welcome & they saw to our every question.  And us to their questions.  We did not fill out any paperwork until we adopted Monty.  And even I suggested that in the future, they ask more questions /screen folks wanting to adopt black cats.    Our older boy is black and we wanted a carbon copy to add to a home full of love.  Some people are not so nice.

No signs regarding drop offs of the like - even though I can totally understand why organizations might do that.
My city shelter is kinda like yours - there's about six display-case like rooms for the cats, but most of them are in two big rooms. You can go freely from room to room, using hand sanitizer, and unless you're interested in adopting, nobody screens you.

I can understand the signs regarding pet abandonment--my city's shelter did have a sign informing people of the pet abandonment law, it's just that the weird shelter worded it very poorly. Gave me the impression that it was a dictatorship atmosphere and they had no heart for the very animals they are supposed to be protecting.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the forms, every first-time visitor needs to fill out forms and given a "pass" that lasts for 6 months. We do this to weed out the shady ones - primarily the ones who want to get an animal for illegal purposes such as dog-fighting. We don't push if someone doesn't want to fill out the forms, but we tell them that they cannot visit with animals until they have a pass. There are a few areas (condos) that are in the open hallway area that you can view without needing a pass, though.
I don't understand how the pass prevents shady people from adopting. Doesn't everyone have to fill out adoption forms anyway, in which case the adoption papers would do the same thing as the pass?

mycatsinthetub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to fill out paper work to see the pets but it was really straight forward (name, contact number, and species looked at) and didn't require ID or anything so theoretically I could have provided false information. Then you have to fill out an extensive form when applying for adoption and you have to wait 1-3 days before you can fill out the form and try to adopt. Then there is a screening process.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think to get the pass many shady people would not want to go that far figuring if they ask this of me know the adoption will be harder I can go down to xyz shelter and get 2 cats for xx and be in and out in few minutes.  I can not see to many dog figthers going to shelter when they could just set a trap but I think the on the fence about adoption or people who get a pet as kitten get rid of it when hassle may be tempted.

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Burlington, I didn't fill anything out until I'd decided to adopt him. Actually I only looked at the other cats because they wanted me to, I already knew I was adopting Burlington. 

I filled out the paperwork and it just asked for name and housing info, vet info, if I'd ever surrendered an animal before, etc. Basic stuff. But I don't think they followed up on anything because my reference people never said anyone called them, and they didn't call my boyfriend to confirm he owned the house or anything. They called me back the next day and said I could come get him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Raintyger, I "looked" online at Petfinder and visited the local Humane Society location for about 18 mos before I found Daisy.  Like you, it was my way to get my "kitty fix" after Callie died and before we added a 3rd kitty to our crew.  I knew I wanted another tortie kitty, so I looked online at pics from the local rescue groups.