Stools are dry-wish - unsure whether this is the healthiest

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm back with the poop talk 😆

A recap: my 9 month old kitten had soft stools with blood at the end of the bowel movement for over 2 months. We got rid of the problem almost entirely after removing kibble from his diet and sticking to sachets only.

We recently traveled from Brazil to France (I am based in France, but spend 4-5 months in Brazil every year). Following the trip, he had a bout of diarrhea, which lasted a day, and there was no blood. He's getting a bit of S. Boulardii sprinkled on his food.

About 10 days after our arrival to France, I started slowly giving him some bits of kibble here and there (Canagan, a brand that helped one of his biological sisters that had the same issue). After a week, he started getting a full meal out of it, which means he now eats 2 sachets a day + around 40g of kibble.

The blood hasn't come back, and his stool has form. What I'm wondering is whether that's healthy enough - although it does have form, it still seems to be quite wet. In the sense that, if he stepped on it, I'd need to wash his paw. His fur is quite long (he's a maine coon) and I try to keep the butt trimmed for hygiene purposes, but sometimes some bits of hair get dirty after he poops.

Should it be drier, I wonder? The color seems okay, there's barely any smell (which goes away quickly) and, again, no blood anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Given the rest of your description, that it has hardly any odor, no blood, etc, I wonder if over time his digestive system will settle down even more and his poops will firm up? I'm not a vet, but maybe don't make any further changes for a little while and see how things progress?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if he is doing better on it, keep giving it to him. Mainly check the reviews and see what they say and if there have been any recalls. If there are troubles with it people are not shy about saying so. If it is a kibble, make sure he gets plenty to drink, and set several small bowls around to tempt him. Normal stool will stick to some fur at times, it is usually too dry if it won't stick at all. Just keep doing what you are doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say if he is doing better on it, keep giving it to him. Mainly check the reviews and see what they say and if there have been any recalls. If there are troubles with it people are not shy about saying so. If it is a kibble, make sure he gets plenty to drink, and set several small bowls around to tempt him. Normal stool will stick to some fur at times, it is usually too dry if it won't stick at all. Just keep doing what you are doing!
Thank you! That's what I've been wondering about - earlier on, when his stool was seemingly "healthier", he never got dirty. Now he does almost everyday, so I wasn't sure whether this would be a red flag. It's a bit confusing because it does *look* okay, it's certainly so much better than how it was before.

As for water, he drinks a lot 💕 thankfully that has never been a struggle. He has a water fountain in the kitchen and a water bowl in my bedroom - since I work from home and spend a lot of time in it, he tends to hang out with me, so I make sure there's some water for him there, too. When he's only eating the sachet, the water intake decreases (I guess because there's a high water content in the food itself), but whenever he eats kibble he drinks water soon after.

Hi!

Given the rest of your description, that it has hardly any odor, no blood, etc, I wonder if over time his digestive system will settle down even more and his poops will firm up? I'm not a vet, but maybe don't make any further changes for a little while and see how things progress?
I hope that's the case... I was surprised at how quickly the blood stopped after we started feeding him only wet food. I would have figured that even if kibble was the issue, it would have taken a bit longer for the blood to stop, or that the healing would be gradual... but from one day to the next it stopped and hasn't come back. I mean, I'm very happy about it, but definitely surprised.

I'll stay on poop watch in the near future. I keep an eye on him anyway because I know the long fur presents a bit of a litter box issue (probably more for me than for him!).