Stitch sticking out of spay incision

Tiger.Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten was spayed 10 days ago. Today I noticed a stitch sticking out of her incision that was not visible before. I am worried about her pulling on it, and am not sure if this is how the incision should be looking otherwise.. If it is healing properly, would it be safe to clip the stitch down a bit? Thanks in advance for any insight!
753E1B1A-8B8B-49A0-8810-C263F1D96D87.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets usually use absorbable sutures (dissolving stitches) when they spay female cats.
The body's immune system will break down the material and destroy it over time.
Absorbable sutures do not need to be removed and will eventually disappear, by themselves.

It takes anywhere from one to two weeks for the sutures to begin dissolving and they will be completely gone in one to three months.

In the mean time, you might find part of a suture that is in the process of being broken down by the body poking out of a surgical incision. It's normal and usually nothing to worry about.

If there is redness, swelling, fluid drainage or any other signs of infection, call your vet, right away.

If there are no signs of infection and the incision appears to be healing on its own, best to leave well enough alone.

Sometimes, the incision site will feel itchy while it is healing and/or breaking down the suture material. If that happens, the cat might scratch or chew on the incision and/or the protruding sutures. Again... normal... don't worry unless there is a problem.

However, if your cat is scratching or chewing on that little thread of suture material that is poking out and you think that she could re-open the wound or cause other damage, it's best to call your vet and see what can be done. He'll probably snip that little piece off.

As far as I can tell, your cat's incision looks like it's healing okay and, from what I can tell by looking at your picture, all looks normal.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about, but, if you get any bad feelings, call your vet, right away. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tiger.Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets usually use absorbable sutures (dissolving stitches) when they spay female cats.
The body's immune system will break down the material and destroy it over time.
Absorbable sutures do not need to be removed and will eventually disappear, by themselves.

It takes anywhere from one to two weeks for the sutures to begin dissolving and they will be completely gone in one to three months.

In the mean time, you might find part of a suture that is in the process of being broken down by the body poking out of a surgical incision. It's normal and usually nothing to worry about.

If there is redness, swelling, fluid drainage or any other signs of infection, call your vet, right away.

If there are no signs of infection and the incision appears to be healing on its own, best to leave well enough alone.

Sometimes, the incision site will feel itchy while it is healing and/or breaking down the suture material. If that happens, the cat might scratch or chew on the incision and/or the protruding sutures. Again... normal... don't worry unless there is a problem.

However, if your cat is scratching or chewing on that little thread of suture material that is poking out and you think that she could re-open the wound or cause other damage, it's best to call your vet and see what can be done. He'll probably snip that little piece off.

As far as I can tell, your cat's incision looks like it's healing okay and, from what I can tell by looking at your picture, all looks normal.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about, but, if you get any bad feelings, call your vet, right away. :)
Oh good thank you so much! You’ve put my mind at ease :)