Steroid in cats

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends. The gastritis in my cat cannot be cured, she has been vomiting for months. My doctor recommended steroids as a last resort. But I am very worried.
Has anyone used steroids on their cat before?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using steroids on my cat for a year after the same diagnosis as yours…when I thought I’d only have 3 days left with him! No (visible) side effects sofar, but I do understand your concerns. Hopefully you are also getting advice about diet from your vet? A lot of folks on here recommend wet food only, w/out things like guar gums, which is used in some foods to make it stick together. Novel proteins seem to help, like venison, rabbit, quail or boar. Other people here recommend RAWZ, and I’ve had luck with Farmina’s quail and pumpkin. .…age is a factor too: if a weak heart is involved it might not be wise to consider steroids. (My cat just turned 16).

In the end, it comes down to quality of life. This ‘miracle year‘ I’ve had with my cat has been a true joy, and he does not seem to be suffering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using steroids on my cat for a year after the same diagnosis as yours…when I thought I’d only have 3 days left with him! No (visible) side effects sofar, but I do understand your concerns. Hopefully you are also getting advice about diet from your vet? A lot of folks on here recommend wet food only, w/out things like guar gums, which is used in some foods to make it stick together. Novel proteins seem to help, like venison, rabbit, quail or boar. Other people here recommend RAWZ, and I’ve had luck with Farmina’s quail and pumpkin. .…age is a factor too: if a weak heart is involved it might not be wise to consider steroids. (My cat just turned 16).

In the end, it comes down to quality of life. This ‘miracle year‘ I’ve had with my cat has been a true joy, and he does not seem to be suffering.
Did your cat also have gastritis? Wow 16 year old cat is getting gastritis, my cat is only 2 years old..
So the steroid worked? This give me hope. Because it really is our last chance. I don't know what to do if it doesn't work.
I also try to feed mainly with wet food. But if she's going to vomit, she still vomits somehow. Besides, I think she has reflux now. What she eat, comes back.
Fortunately, metoclopramide seems to be working right now for her vomiting.
Last 3 days with your cat???!!! Thank god, Your cat misled everyone):)

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it has been a positive year for us, tho of course there can be side effects from long term use. If it really is your last hope, I say try it!
There are plenty of people on this site that will offer you healthful, good ideas for more holistic remedies, and those are also worth considering. I was too scared to try them much. The good news is that at least you have youth on your side! Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it has been a positive year for us, tho of course there can be side effects from long term use. If it really is your last hope, I say try it!
There are plenty of people on this site that will offer you healthful, good ideas for more holistic remedies, and those are also worth considering. I was too scared to try them much. The good news is that at least you have youth on your side! Best of luck! Keep us posted!
Thank you so much, it's been a terrible year for me. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can't stand to see her like this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Steroids are useful to calm inflammation. My IBD cat takes prednisolone to control symptoms. Many vets start a cat off at a high dose and slowly taper the dose off as symptoms improve. Side effects of a high dose are diabetic-like symptoms: excessive drinking and urination, hungrier than usual, elevated blood glucose levels. These symptoms do go away as the steroid dose is tapered off.

Diet can be helpful as well. A bland-ish diet of a novel protein is usually what is suggested. Avoid fillers like gums and starches which can irritate an already bothersome tummy. Rawz is an ideal brand but it's expensive and not widely sold (see Where to Buy | RAWZ. Note that Amazon and other popular web sites are not authorized retailers despite the Rawz products you may find there). There are limited ingredient brands that can be fed. Some people feed a raw or home cooked diet.

Did the vet prescribe any medicine to help the vomiting? Cerenia can help with nausea and vomiting. Some cats may need an antacid medicine. If the vet doesn't have an other suggestions on how to manage your cat's gastritis, you can seek out a second opinion from another vet.

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Steroids are useful to calm inflammation. My IBD cat takes prednisolone to control symptoms. Many vets start a cat off at a high dose and slowly taper the dose off as symptoms improve. Side effects of a high dose are diabetic-like symptoms: excessive drinking and urination, hungrier than usual, elevated blood glucose levels. These symptoms do go away as the steroid dose is tapered off.

Diet can be helpful as well. A bland-ish diet of a novel protein is usually what is suggested. Avoid fillers like gums and starches which can irritate an already bothersome tummy. Rawz is an ideal brand but it's expensive and not widely sold (see Where to Buy | RAWZ. Note that Amazon and other popular web sites are not authorized retailers despite the Rawz products you may find there). There are limited ingredient brands that can be fed. Some people feed a raw or home cooked diet.

Did the vet prescribe any medicine to help the vomiting? Cerenia can help with nausea and vomiting. Some cats may need an antacid medicine. If the vet doesn't have an other suggestions on how to manage your cat's gastritis, you can seek out a second opinion from another vet.
This is a 2 month process. I changed 3 city, the last time we got help from a veterinarian in a university hospital. Cerenia can be applied 5 doses in a succescion.We got help from it while using our medicines. She actually didn't vomit for 70 hours. But then it started once and more followed. It doesn't end now. sulfacrate is ruining my cat. It makes her vomit so much, we don't use it. We are currently using pantoprozole for acid blocking. Plus probiotics to support the digestive system. But nothing seems to work.
We're back to where we started. She has now suggested corticosteroids, she hasn't told me how to use it yet, I'm waiting.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
You might also wish to contact TCS’s rockitorknockit, whose orange cat Oscar went through a similar situation: seems like it’s finally working out for her and the vomiting has stopped.

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might also wish to contact TCS’s rockitorknockit, whose orange cat Oscar went through a similar situation: seems like it’s finally working out for her and the vomiting has stopped.
What is TCS and where i can find him? Sorry im Turkish :)

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry, I should never abbreviate: TCS is what you are on now: The Cat Site. Just put rockitorknockit in the search engine and follow the thread.

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry, I should never abbreviate: TCS is what you are on now: The Cat Site. Just put rockitorknockit in the search engine and follow the thread.
Thank you i will try to reach him:)
I love the helpfulness of the people on this site. I have never seen anything like this in my country:(

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
O I am SURE there are pockets of cat people in every country, it is simply a matter of finding them, but I know what you mean. So many factors involved in how a country views cats…all we can do is to change people’s feelings and attitudes one cat (or colony) at a time! At least we have moved on from bubonic plague attitudes.…are there any spay and neuter programs in your area?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you i will try to reach him:)
I love the helpfulness of the people on this site. I have never seen anything like this in my country:(
My two cats ancestors came from Turkey. My two boys are Purebred Turkish Van cats.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really??? Can i see them???? :)
I often have problems uploading their photos on this Site. For the meantime Their faces are on my inset photo. The Black/White is (Miles) , he will be 4yrs. In July. Red/White is (Jackpot ) he will be 3yrs in August. I purchased both as kittens .

rockitorknockit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here I am, fashionably late to the party! Thanks for thinking to mention/tag me, everyone. Happy to provide a little anecdotal experience.

My cat has an IBD/cancer diagnosis. About 6 months ago he began a super high dosage of steroids. That was reduce a bit, to what is a more standard daily dosage now. Typically steroids cause an increase in appetite and water retention in cats, which is often welcome for those with the diagnosis my cat has. My Oscar has this experience at first, but now he's struggling with inappetence and weightless despite the steroid.

The vet has indicated the steroids are helping because his internal swelling has reduced. However it, nor any combo of various foods, has never helped his diarrhea. I'd never guess the steroids was doing anything just from outward observation, but it doesn't seem to be harming him either. I trust the vet who says the tests are better than they were since being on it.

Oscar was not vomiting until more recently. A couple of months ago he began vomiting suddenly more frequently, to the point of doing so at least once every night. At this point I am controlling that by giving him Cerenia every single evening. He has been on it nightly for over a month now and has not vomited a single time since. I will say this - I think the Cerenia causes him to drink more water and drool, but that doesn't seem to disturb him at all, and it has undoubtedly completely stopped the vomiting.

I believe Oscar still fights nausea regularly despite the Cerenia, especially around chemo doses. I was given Zofran to give along side the Cerenia if necessary, as they are both anti-nausea meds but work in different ways. I have not actually used them both at once yet though.

If I were you, just based on what little you've shared - I would definitely try steroids and I would definitely discuss giving Cerenia for an extended amount of time, and/or trying Zofran. Just my two-cents!

Sevilay28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here I am, fashionably late to the party! Thanks for thinking to mention/tag me, everyone. Happy to provide a little anecdotal experience.

My cat has an IBD/cancer diagnosis. About 6 months ago he began a super high dosage of steroids. That was reduce a bit, to what is a more standard daily dosage now. Typically steroids cause an increase in appetite and water retention in cats, which is often welcome for those with the diagnosis my cat has. My Oscar has this experience at first, but now he's struggling with inappetence and weightless despite the steroid.

The vet has indicated the steroids are helping because his internal swelling has reduced. However it, nor any combo of various foods, has never helped his diarrhea. I'd never guess the steroids was doing anything just from outward observation, but it doesn't seem to be harming him either. I trust the vet who says the tests are better than they were since being on it.

Oscar was not vomiting until more recently. A couple of months ago he began vomiting suddenly more frequently, to the point of doing so at least once every night. At this point I am controlling that by giving him Cerenia every single evening. He has been on it nightly for over a month now and has not vomited a single time since. I will say this - I think the Cerenia causes him to drink more water and drool, but that doesn't seem to disturb him at all, and it has undoubtedly completely stopped the vomiting.

I believe Oscar still fights nausea regularly despite the Cerenia, especially around chemo doses. I was given Zofran to give along side the Cerenia if necessary, as they are both anti-nausea meds but work in different ways. I have not actually used them both at once yet though.

If I were you, just based on what little you've shared - I would definitely try steroids and I would definitely discuss giving Cerenia for an extended amount of time, and/or trying Zofran. Just my two-cents!
Hello!! First of all, I embrace your Oscar. Sending my love to him, and thank you for being here! <3
My cat has no ibd diagnosis. The fact that she is still vomiting despite gastritis treatment make my vet think about this.
Also, someone here asked me: "Why did your cat have too much hair in hee stomach, why couldn't she throw it out" was such a logical question. No veterinarian has investigated this. Now that I think about it this pushes me to ibd. But I don't know if I'm kidding myself. I bought the steroid just in case. I don't know when to start. I am now preventing her from vomiting by giving metoclopramide. She has been vomiting only between 5-6 am in the morning for 2 days, which I think may be due to prolonged hunger. I'm going to set an alarm tonight and feed her. Let's see what is going to happen.