Stalled labor

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was hoping to pick your brain for a little bit. My queen was laboring last night, i noticed around 1:30am. She also has Gairdia which i recently learned after bringing in a sample. She kept pooping with her contractions but cleaning it up. Around 3:30 i decided this could go on a while and went to bed. She was is good spirits and resting herself. When i went to check her this morning around 7:30 I was surprised to see no babies and her walking around. I went to grab laundry from the dryer for the kids to put on for school and she followed me. While i was standing there, she strained like she was pooping on all fours and out popped a baby. She was very surprised, this was on the concrete floor. Instead of laying down and cleaning off the baby she started walking around and then spinning trying to get him out. I stopped her and the baby fell out. She cleaned him a little and ate the placenta, picked him up and put him in a new birthing box (i have 4 options set up). She wasn’t tending to him at all and he crawled out of the box so i picked him up with a towel and cleaned him up a little before putting him in mamas face. He was pretty cold when i touched him so i was happy when queen, Corrine, tucked him under her chin and snuggled him. She is just curled up in a ball with him under her but i don’t think he is nursing. It seems as if labor has stalled and no more contractions. Am i just being a worry wart foster mama or do you think something is wrong? She is purring and seems content for now sleeping for the past 2 hours.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make sure to put the baby to a nipple. He needs to nurse once he’s all warmed up. Mom sounds fine but inexperienced. If she has more kittens she will birth them when they are ready to come. Delays between births are not uncommon.

Thank you for fostering!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updating incase others are in the situation. She had a bag of waters hanging out for over an hour and was not pushing much. She was acting more lethargic so I rushed her to the shelter where the vet was working today. They took her in straight away for a c-section. She was a bit aggressive with her 1st and only vaginal birth in the ride over. I nearly separated them but she had retracted that golf ball sized bag of waters and laid down to let him nurse instead. I am anxiously awaiting the call from the shelter to hear how everyone is doing by posting this update and getting my nipples and syringes in order for the post anesthesia care. I appreciate your advice! I found this helpful cat site a year ago when i had a very similar situation with another foster queen who ended up having a c-section for her 3 dead babies after days of laboring 2 dead kittens vaginally. The time spent reading all the different forums and threads was just the education i needed to be prepared to help this queen and kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mama and babies doing well! Everyone survived and is thriving. Unfortunately her stool sample came back positive for giardia so we are trying to clear that up with meds. It may explain her weakness during labor.