Squinty eye/ointment

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Recently our cat developed a squinty eye. It was watering and eventually forming some crusties. We took him to the vet and they said his heart and lungs sounded good, they also put some dye in his eye and didn’t see any scratches. They gave us some ointment to apply twice a day for seven days.

The issue is that now his left eye that was bothering him seems to be getting better, but his right eye is now watering just like the left one was and is a little squinty.

Would I be able to start applying the ointment to BOTH eyes twice a day? I’m planning to call our vet on Monday when they’re open but I would definitely like to get ahead of it if his other eye is having the same issue. So, my question is, would there be any negative effects from applying to both eyes? Should I hold off for another day and just keep applying to the original left eye?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did they say was wrong with the left eye originally? Was it something equivalent to pink eye in humans. If so, I would think it would be fine to put it in both eyes. But not knowing either what the ointment is, or WHY it was prescribed, it's really hard to answer your question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What did they say was wrong with the left eye originally? Was it something equivalent to pink eye in humans. If so, I would think it would be fine to put it in both eyes. But not knowing either what the ointment is, or WHY it was prescribed, it's really hard to answer your question.
He didn’t say what was wrong with his eye, only that there wasn’t a scratch and that his upper respiratory sounded good. The ointment is neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and bacitracin zinc ophthalmic ointment (triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment). So I’m just assuming he’s treating some type of infection with antibiotics?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is often used for conjunctivitis in cats. It's probably fine to use it in both eyes., as long as it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.