Spring is here!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've said this before but I'll say it again. I'm always amazed at the wildlife that turns up in gardens etc. in other countries.
The best I can do is the odd hedgehog that roams in but even that is super rare. On the plus side, there's no wildlife here that's out to poison or eat me. We got rid of bears and wolves centuries ago.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've said this before but I'll say it again. I'm always amazed at the wildlife that turns up in gardens etc. in other countries.
The best I can do is the odd hedgehog that roams in but even that is super rare. On the plus side, there's no wildlife here that's out to poison or eat me. We got rid of bears and wolves centuries ago.
You don't know what you're missing. Here, in my area, we have, in addition to wild turkeys; black bears, coyotes, and scads of deer, and also the random viper. A veritable menagerie of wildlife.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had turkeys in my yard; but I've seen them up the road. Of course my backyard is fenced so that could be part of it. I never did figure out whose eyes were glowing back at DD and I when we went out to watch a meteor shower several years ago. :lol:

My bird feeders have been VERY busy. It usually slows down in the summer; but right now I feel like I'm refilling it all the time. My kids are studying birds in science and we just covered the section about mating, nesting and raising young. So it's perfect timing for what we see going on in our yard.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkeys ARE taking over. They aren't easily discouraged and they seem to be reproducing quite well even in urban environments. And it's not like the usual urban predators are able to keep their population down. We might need to have more urban turkey dinners ;). They do have a spring turkey season here, going on right now, but of course you can't hunt in town.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the small city near me, there is a street nicknamed 'millionaire's row' because of all the 19th century mansions located on it. Numerous times over the years I have seen flocks of turkeys on the front lawns, seemingly unconcerned with the activities around them.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Turkeys ARE taking over. They aren't easily discouraged and they seem to be reproducing quite well even in urban environments. And it's not like the usual urban predators are able to keep their population down. We might need to have more urban turkey dinners ;). They do have a spring turkey season here, going on right now, but of course you can't hunt in town.
We have at least two bobcats roaming the neighborhood now, too. I haven't seen them myself but several neighbors have posted photos of them. They look big and healthy. Maybe they are having turkey dinners.