Sphynx with Mycoplasma, herpes, and chlamydia

Kelly Hauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was purchased from Russia and papers show negative HCM, Felv, and she had all vaccinations. She started sneezing a lot on Thursday 12/9 and by Friday 12/10 she had a full blown URI. The vet got me in on Saturday 12/11 there is a possibility that she is pregnant so he started her on Amoxicillin and we did a complete respiratory panel. Today I received the results, she was positive for Mycoplasma, Herpes and Chlamydia.
He said it was unusual to be positive for three things and that she needs Doxycycline but because she is possibly pregnant we will just finish the amoxicillin and give her Lysine.
Right now she seems maybe 80-90% better.
My concern is that some of these diagnosis’s can become a chronic problem, therefore I am seeking input as to anything else along side the Lysine I can do to prevent this being a chronic lifetime problem.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is nothing you can do to prevent something that is "chronic" from being what it is. When I say I simply mean there is no cure. And as far as I can determine, it's the Herpes that is the only one of the three that cannot be cured.

As far as the Mycoplasma, however, that can turn deadly if not treated. Were you planning on breeding this cat? If not, you might consider aborting the babies (if there even are any) in order to get her on the antibiotic that she really needs, which is Doxy. She will probably need to be on it for at least six weeks. Even if you were planning on breeding her, you have no idea who the father of these possible kittens are, so the possible kittens could turn out to be a mix of anything (guessing here).

For the Herpes, many people use L-Lysin everyday, 250 mg twice per day, then if there is a flare-up, give it at a dose of 500 mg twice per day. Some people also give Lactoferrin. Here is a thread where one poster gave her daily regimen for her cat with Herpes with good results: Herpes Virus

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't much on this topic, but chlamydia can be passed along to the kittens, if she does indeed have them. My parents adopted a kitten that was almost completely blind. The vet gave them ointment and they were able to save one eye. I only wish we could have rescued her sooner; it could have been probably been taken care of; we were just too late.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelly Hauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is nothing you can do to prevent something that is "chronic" from being what it is. When I say I simply mean there is no cure. And as far as I can determine, it's the Herpes that is the only one of the three that cannot be cured.

As far as the Mycoplasma, however, that can turn deadly if not treated. Were you planning on breeding this cat? If not, you might consider aborting the babies (if there even are any) in order to get her on the antibiotic that she really needs, which is Doxy. She will probably need to be on it for at least six weeks. Even if you were planning on breeding her, you have no idea who the father of these possible kittens are, so the possible kittens could turn out to be a mix of anything (guessing here).

For the Herpes, many people use L-Lysin everyday, 250 mg twice per day, then if there is a flare-up, give it at a dose of 500 mg twice per day. Some people also give Lactoferrin. Here is a thread where one poster gave her daily regimen for her cat with Herpes with good results: Herpes Virus
Thank you for your input. It was my decision to breed her with a male that I have (he is UTD on vaccinations and I own his parents who are both healthy and have tested negative for everything including HCM.)
The female I got from Russia also tested negative for HCM, feline leukemia and others.
She appeared healthy when I allowed them to interact. I doubt she was tested for Chlamydia and may have gotten it at birth.
After they were together she was sneezing one day and from there she had a full blown URI. I took her to the vet and this is what she tested positive for. The Amoxicillin he started her on is not as effective as Doxy but she has improved so much that he thought finishing the Amoxicillin and using the Lysine at this time while watching to see if she continues to improve is appropriate. When she is 43 days he plans an ultrasound, if she’s not pregnant she will go on Doxy and I will not breed her. If she is pregnant we will watch her and make sure she doesn’t decline and the babies can be treated after born. I am hoping she is not pregnant and we can treat her. As for the “Chronic” Herpes. It is not a death sentence, it’s not good, but with treatment and supportive care she can still have a great life.
I asked for suggestions because I have read that things like Lysine and other supplements along with diet changes can keep it at bay. I just wanted to see if other people who have had cats with Herpes may have other things that have had a positive impact. You mentioned Transferrin, this is the input I want to hear because the vet didn’t mention that and I didn’t know about it. I want to give this cat the best chances for a healthy life! Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh gosh. I didn't realize YOU had bred her as I thought she had just been adopted. My error. Well, in that case, let's hope the amoxicillin works or that she is not pregnant, and if she is, that she doesn't pass the chlamydia on to the any kittens. :sigh: