Sphynx Skin condition help? (Believed to be yeast)

Johnsmiththesecond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm a new member just looking for some insight into my cats skin condition. We have taken him to the vet about it earlier this year and will be taking him again this coming week.

Its believed to be a yeast infection which we thought we successfully treated with a medicated fungal bath shampoo as well as a topical steroid spray.

It seems to have come back again and I was just wondering if any members have had a similar issue with their cat and what route they took for a successful removal of it.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has it been since he was treated with the special shampoo and steroid spray? Was that recently? In other words, did it work for awhile? Does he wear sweaters or onesy's or something like that to keep him warm? Could it be related to that, since it was earlier this year when it first happened, and now it's getting cool again. AND, lastly, for now, what does he eat. Sometimes foods with grains in them have been thought to cause yeast infections in cats' ears, so I supposed there might be a connection here as well.

As far as treatment, I don't recall seeing anything specific to your question here, but hoping maybe someone else has. and will post.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Johnsmiththesecond and welcome to the forum !

I would either request a referral to a Veterinary Dermatologist or save the cost of that next visit and find one myself, perhaps using this: acvd.org - Find a Dermatologist.

Let us know how it goes!

Now........the 'kitty tax' collector here doesn't accept partial body pics.........so, could we see the rest of him? :hyper:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try a chamomile tea wash. It will ease the itching, and because chamomile is both antibacterial and antifungal, may help to clear it. Use only commercially prepared tea bags, as these are always the German variety of chamomile. The English variety is pretty useless medicinally, and is actually toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, then swab on the affected areas with a cotton ball or soft cloth. Because it is safe internally in proper dosages (3 tsp to 3 Tbsp three times a day, depending on weight), it is safe if the cat grooms the area.

And yes...WE WANT TO SEE THE REST OF HIM!