Special Needs Kitten?

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are 3 kittens at my grandparents house that are about 3 or 4 months old. Their are two orange ones and a tan one. I'm concerned about the tan one. He's very sweet and loves attention, I've gotten really close to him recently and I've noticed that he's a little slower than his brother and sister. For instance, they have this little bench thing that they can jump onto and look into the house .( because they're outside cats.)I've seen his sister and brother jump on it, and I've seen him try. I figured he just needed a little practice so I left it alone. This morning, I had to feed the cats because my grandparents where out. I go out to feed them, since they are all waiting. As soon as I walk outside all of the cats come running up to me, that is, except for the little tan boy. He's just looking around as if he doesn't know what's going on. It wasn't like he wasn't hungry, he was waiting with the other cats for me to come out and feed them. I called his name once. He didn't move. Twice. He didn't move. I clapped. He looked at me. I walked over to him, picked him up, and set him down to eat. He began to eat. So if it wasn't that he wasn't hungry what else could it be??? After they where done eating, I decided I'd go and spend a little time with him. I sit down and begin to pet him. He starts purring and rubbing against me, everything's fine until a male cat named Apollo comes up to me and the kitten. Apollo got on my lap and began trying to get me to pet him. I give him a few pats and contiued to pet the tan kitten. I'm assuming that Apollo noticed the kitten who was male was also a little slower, so he got off of my lap, looked at the kitten, and jumped at his throat. I guess the kitten couldn't tell what was happening because it was so quick, so he didn't move. I tried really hard to pull Apollo off of the kitten. I thought maybe he was just playful, but as soon as I pulled I noticed that he had a really tight grip on the kittens throat. I eventually got him off, but I'm very concerned about the kitten.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like the little one maybe sick. What you are seeing could be lethargy, basically tired and slow. Kind of like how you feel when you have a cold. A vet visit would be a great first step to see if they can identify the problem.

If you are unable to see a vet, just keep him fed and hydrated so his body has a chance to fight off whatever is wrong.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aside from possibly being sick, I would get his hearing and sight checked out. Based on your description I'm wondering if he might be slightly deaf. Not able to climb on the bench, not hearing right can throw your balance off. Possibly not hearing you come so not sure why everyone left him, not reacting to being called (the clap will cause vibration that he might have noticed). Not being able to hear right could also cause other cats to get mad at him, not hearing a low growl, hiss, etc.

Lack of sight can cause those same issues, you can't judge distance if you can't see properly. If he can't really see where you are or which way the others went he will have a harder time following the others. Also most cat language is movements and postures, if he can't see those and respond accordingly it can send the wrong message.