Spayed kitten

Bfeyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, so my kitten was just spayed yesterday, we got her home and noticed that the vet didn't cover the suture wound nor did they put her on a cone, she has been licking and pulling the stitches we when to the vet and got the cone but she is constantly removing it. I made a t-shirt vest to see if it would help her not licking or pulling the stitches but she doesn't let me put it on, so currently I'm just wide awake looking at her sleep to make sure she doesn't wake up and starts trying to pull out her stitches again... Does anyone has any advice on what i should do? I will do anything i hate seeing her in pain like this 100% regretting my decision now.

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always been a fan of an Ace bandage wrap. Easier to put on than the t-shirt vest and pretty inexpensive. Just remove it every now and then to give the incision some air, and monitor her while it's off.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's getting the cone off, then it's not on correctly. Also, there are more than one cone style. There are new ones out there that are more pillowy that look much more comfy. Something like this (I just googled "pillow cat cones":

1617320500883.png

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need help with the cone, you can go back to the vet hospital and get help. They might have another style that she would have more trouble removing. I have found the most basic clear plastic vet cones to work well with wiggle worm kittens.

Please don't feel guilty that you have had her spayed. She probably got pain meds, yes? Just because she is messing with her stitches doesn't mean the stitches are necessarily causing pain. Some cats have more of a tendency to mess with their incisions, and I can imagine that long external stitch material poking out like that could be very interesting to a kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't regret your decision. Not at all. She'll have a very few rough days, then a lifetime of far better health. Even if you kept her in, cats have rapid heat cycles which are miserable for them AND rough on their bodies, and she is now protected from pyometra (a uterine infection, often fatal). Her chances of developing mammary cancers are also VASTLY reduced. It's certainly going to be worth it in the long run!