Spayed cat

Ale_ivashkov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I found this site while looking for some information and thought I could ask for help. My cat is about 9 months old and was spayed almost 2 weeks ago. The vet never explained anything to me about how to clean the wound or when the stitches could be removed. He didn't even mention how long she needed to have the stitches covered or anything. I even told him once she had removed one of the stitches herself but didn't pay it any attention. So today (day 13th after the surgery), my mom decided to remove the stitches because she said the skin was already growing over them but we noticed there's still a thread left in there where the incision was made. Could it be this is a stitch from the inside and came out when she removed one of the stitches from the outside? Or could it be the thread from the one she bit? Also, should it be left alone or does it have to be removed? I'm scared the vet might need to cut her again for this. I'm also afraid we removed the stitches too soon. I'm attaching a pic taken today after the 2 stitches were removed and you can see where the other thread is. Thank you.
20211121_112932.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vets normally use self dissolving stitches for this type of surgery. I would give them a call and ask if that's the case. Perhaps you can send them this picture and ask if at this point you need to do anything about that one still remaining. Next time, if you have any questions about what to do post op, you should be able to ask the Veterinary Clinic before you leave (like cleaning the surgical site, etc) Our Vet usually goes over what to do, but it's also written up on our checkout form.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ale_ivashkov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets normally use self dissolving stitches for this type of surgery. I would give them a call and ask if that's the case. Perhaps you can send them this picture and ask if at this point you need to do anything about that one still remaining. Next time, if you have any questions about what to do post op, you should be able to ask the Veterinary Clinic before you leave (like cleaning the surgical site, etc) Our Vet usually goes over what to do, but it's also written up on our checkout form.
Thank you! I forgot to mention I'm not from the US and this is my first time spaying a cat so it was probably also my fault that I didn't ask any proper questions as I didn't know what I was getting myself into. And the times I've gone to the vet after the surgery he only gave her some vitamins and asked me if she was eating. Nothing more. I'm taking her tomorrow to the vet again but since he didn't explain anything from the beginning I thought I could ask online

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the fluid on her fur something you have put there yourself?

Two weeks should be long enough for a spey site to recover fully, if the recovery has gone smoothly. Yes, some vets use dissolvable stitches, but these are usually intradermal (under the skin) and therefore you should not be able to see them or remove them yourself. The site doesn't necessarily look infected, but it does look aggravated and not at all how a healthy spey scar should appear (not your fault, just being candid). Generally the scar should be hardly noticeable. I would take her to a different vet if you can and get her checked out for infection. Chewing out stitches is definitely cause for at least some concern and the vet should have asked to see her at the time.

For the next time around, you generally shouldn't have to clean the site at all, but if you wish to some diluted betadine is all you'll need and is the safest option IMO. The cat needs to be kept quiet and dry (no jumping on furniture etc) for at least 10 days, two weeks preferably. They also need to be kept from agitating the site in any way such as licking or chewing. You can prevent this with a plastic cone or a onesie so they can't reach the stitches.

You've done the best you could with little support, so don't be too hard on yourself. In future, try discussing aftercare procedures with the vet even before you agree to the surgery, so you can prepare yourself, and ask for any and all instructions in writing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ale_ivashkov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the fluid on her fur something you have put there yourself?

Two weeks should be long enough for a spey site to recover fully, if the recovery has gone smoothly. Yes, some vets use dissolvable stitches, but these are usually intradermal (under the skin) and therefore you should not be able to see them or remove them yourself. The site doesn't necessarily look infected, but it does look aggravated and not at all how a healthy spey scar should appear (not your fault, just being candid). Generally the scar should be hardly noticeable. I would take her to a different vet if you can and get her checked out for infection. Chewing out stitches is definitely cause for at least some concern and the vet should have asked to see her at the time.

For the next time around, you generally shouldn't have to clean the site at all, but if you wish to some diluted betadine is all you'll need and is the safest option IMO. The cat needs to be kept quiet and dry (no jumping on furniture etc) for at least 10 days, two weeks preferably. They also need to be kept from agitating the site in any way such as licking or chewing. You can prevent this with a plastic cone or a onesie so they can't reach the stitches.

You've done the best you could with little support, so don't be too hard on yourself. In future, try discussing aftercare procedures with the vet even before you agree to the surgery, so you can prepare yourself, and ask for any and all instructions in writing.
Thank you! We put local anesthesia and an antibiotic oinment (these two recommended by the vet) at first but after she removed a stitch and the vet didn't see her, my mom decided to clean the incision with saline solution and povidone iodine. Nothing else has been put on the incision. I think her fur is just dirty from the surgery since she's been wearing the onesie from day 1. She hasn't been given a chance to lick anywhere near the incision except that day she bit the stitch 😔. Could it be it looks that way because she took out a stitch before it was healed? This happened on day 5 after the surgery and the wound looked slightly open at the time but since he didn't check her I didn't think it was that big of a deal. They're supposed to know better so I trusted him completely on this.

I've been lucky she's stayed in bed almost all this time, so she hasn't been running or jumping at all. This is probably because we've been locked in my room so I can keep a closer eye on her. She's also starting to eat more these days and seems more alert too. I'm guessing that's a good sign.

After this experience I'm honestly a bit concerned about getting another pet and having it spayed lol these two weeks have been super exhausting. But if I do I'll definitely make sure to ask first and I'll most definitely go to another vet as well