Spay worries

Catam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I recently had to spay our 8 year old cat. She had developed Pyometra, the good news is we caught it early. She's made it through her 14 day lockdown, and we let her out of the bedroom she had occupied. She was over the moon, she was running and jumping as normal (and scolded for being a nut) and I believe she strained the internal work that was done. She is now hiding under the couch intermittently. She occasionally complains like something pinched her. On the bright side, she's eating, drinking, playing with her toys, and using the bathroom. She's been doing this for three days with only a small improvement. I'm stressing and looking for advice. Thanking you in advance.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet's office. It's possible she might've picked up an upper respiratory infection from the stress of the vet visit and surgery. Usually, as long as she's continuing to eat, eliminate, and drink well, then she's okay. She may have just found a new hiding spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet's office. It's possible she might've picked up an upper respiratory infection from the stress of the vet visit and surgery. Usually, as long as she's continuing to eat, eliminate, and drink well, then she's okay. She may have just found a new hiding spot.
I appreciate the input, I've been watching her for any signs of a "kitty cold" and she seems fine on that front. I've spoken with the vet, and if this isn't showing improvement by Friday I'm taking her in. It seems exacerbated by movement, so I'm just hoping she strained a muscle or something. Her sutures and belly look fabulous, so I'm probobly freaking out over nothing.

RebeccaAndTheGirls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, wife of the poster here. In my personal opinion, I think she just found a new spot to lay. To be fair, the couch is new and was put in while she was being isolated. But as he said, if we still see her hiding a lot by Friday we are probably subjecting her to another visit.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is of course possible she strained the incision, but given it has been 14 days any internal work should be healed by now, hopefully. Likely she may just be sore from the sudden exercise, which her tummy muscles won't be used to after resting for so long. Great plan as far as taking her back to the vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying is harder on older females, and it can take a couple months before they're totally back to normal. And the fact that she had pyo when spayed I'm sure didn't make things any easier. So I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with her other than normal post-surgery soreness, but it never hurts to get the vet's advice about it :).

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willowy is absolutely right about spaying being more difficult on older cats. I work in property management and do a lot of TNR work on the properties. The younger gals seem to barely even slow down after a spay, but the older cats take longer. I've kept them indoors for over a week before. Spaying is a fairly big surgery, unlike neutering which is basically a few snips and some glue.

Here's to you guys for being awesome kitty custodians and taking such good care of you girl!