Spay Incision Site - Is this normal?

ZooeyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is probably posted a lot but I'm worried about my cat's incision site. There seems to be some dried blood on the site. She's not currently bleeding but the blood looks new. The incision site is also slightly lumpy and because of that it looks like it might be slightly open. I really cannot tell if it's open or not, all I know is I that it looks like there is some new blood. I attached two pictures, they were the best I could get. The vet is closed today and I am emailing them a picture as well. Just want to know if this is more urgent so posting here. She was spayed 4 days ago and has been pretty active yesterday and today. Her stitches are the dissolvable ones, if that makes a difference. Thanks!!!

Attachments

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Zooey!

No, her spay incision site does not look normal. Has she been licking and biting it a lot? Schedule an appointment tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZooeyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Zooey!

No, her spay incision site does not look normal. Has she been licking and biting it a lot? Schedule an appointment tomorrow.
Okay, thank you, I contacted my vet. I left her at home for a few hours yesterday and when I came back, her cone had come off. Think she may have been licking her wound while I was away but it looked pretty normal yesterday.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually think it looks okay. I would monitor it and see if it changes. It's not angry red or weeping. I would call the vet tomorrow and ask if you can email them the pictures.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ZooeyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Z ZooeyCat . Welcome to TCS. About the spay incision, emailing your vet the pics is probably the best idea, so you can get their expert opinion.

Meanwhile, here's the TCS article on Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles. It includes pics of normal and infected spay incisions, if you're interested, and want to see comparisons..
Thank you so much, the pictures are helpful. I emailed the vet and will call tomorrow as well!

ZooeyCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually think it looks okay. I would monitor it and see if it changes. It's not angry red or weeping. I would call the vet tomorrow and ask if you can email them the pictures.
Ok, I hope so! Thank you!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I think the incision looks ok. There's no swelling or redness in the area around it. You could gently sponge the blood off with warm water and pat it dry. Then you'll be able to tell if it keeps oozing.